How to tow a car with a truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by kogaFX, Sep 16, 2017.

1. kogaFX

kogaFX Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Frozen Lease Road, ND
    Hello, I was wondering what I will need to tow a car with a truck. Its just a nissan altima. I'm looking to buy a truck but its in a pretty rural area, so I didnt want to hassle with the logistics of driving out to the truck, then driving the truck back to where I work which is also really rural, and then trying to figure out how to get back to the nissan, I want to drive away with the nissan if I do buy the truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Take a friend with you. They can drive the car back.

4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The Nissan would need a hitch on it and then pull a tow dolly out to the truck.
    Put the tow dolly on the truck and pull the Nissan back.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, our shops gets trucks delivered and the delivery guy tows his own vehicle. It isn't as easy as you think, but not as hard either. The biggest thing, the car needs those hitch points installed so you can tow it from the front, just like big motor homes tow a car in behind them. The truck just needs a pintle hook installed on the rear, but that can be simply bolted on the rear cross member. Your tow car also needs an electrical plug to receive signal and brake lights from the truck. I wouldn't rely on the hazard flashers only. In all reality, it isn't worth it just to get a truck one time. I would still get a friend to come with you and drive your car back for you.

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you are going to regulalry tow that car install the tow points to the front of it. If it's a one-time event, just rent a tow dolly. It's its a one-time event have someone drive the car.

7. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Couple things.....
    Nissan Altima has a huge plastic front bumper cover witch doesn't have much behind it to install any hitch point to.
    Also you have air bag sensors behind there that are very sensitive and could be a problem.
    The last thing is if the Altima is an automatic transmission car and you flat tow it with out it running or being on a tow dolly when you arrive at your destination if you make it that far you will have a completely melted transmission that is possibly on fire when you get there.

8. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Rent a car...or u haul one way..then get the truck...u haul places are everywhere

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.