How would you handle no detention pay for something out of your control

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, Dec 9, 2019.

1. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You missing the point. We don't know where we are going until we get back to the truck on Monday. I didn't even get the load until a few minutes before 0700

Woodys and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    It sounds like he was given a start time tho. What else would you need. I'm getting dressed for work as we speak because I was given a start time of 3pm. I'm not gonna go in at two and sit and wait...start time is a start time right?

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I actually agree with you. There is a reason I have an hourly job and will not go back to cpm pay. Simple fact is op is on cpm pay and as such sets whatever start time HOS allows.
    He didn't start early enough and it bit him. Hopefully he learns to start early enough, or get an hourly job so he stops giving away free time..

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    are you hourly of salary based?

6. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Words of wisdom right there.
    You only have x amount of hours on this planet. You are selling your time to a company, get paid for it.

7. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Cpm

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Wait in line at your company's terminal to leave. #megalife

Coffey, BigDog Trucker and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    Wow... reading comprehension is bye bye on this thread....

If they won’t pay your detention, it’s your decision. Does it happen a lot? Do you like the job? Is it worth quitting over the $75? or whatever??
    Sometimes #### happens and it screws you up. I worked for a guaranteed detention after 2 hrs company. A couple times #### happened and I didn’t qualify for the detention. I just made it up in other ways... like If I was finally done after 1 1-2 hrs detention, I dragged my feet till I had 2 hrs... lol Be creative!

I don’t get the ‘free time’ concept ‘by the hour’ guys push. CPM is the way some get paid. Doesn’t mean fueling is free time, my compensation is just figured out at a CPM rate. That’s just the way the pay is calculated. Yours is by the hour.
    If I’m painting your house and I give you a price to paint it by the square foot, that doesn’t mean the time I ran to the paint store is uncompensated. It’s worked into the SQ FT price. If it starts raining 1/2 way through the job, I can’t charge more cause it’s taking longer. It is what it is.
    Yes, sometimes thewait times to get loaded or unloaded suck, but it is what it is. Hopefully most of the time it is compensated. If not, look for a better company. Sometimes the good outweighs the bad and you can justify a certain amount of ########....
    I haul Pharmaceuticals now. Hardly ever a wait to load or unload. Find your niche...

most weeks when I figure out my pay, I’d be shorting myself to get paid hourly. But each his own....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The one thing I do guarantee everyone when they hire on is they will have it shoved up their ### on occasion through no fault of their own.

Welcome to trucking.

11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Broker did that once for me on 2 hours detention. He Ended up regretting it after, I paid $20 to the warehouse worker to get me unloaded 7 hours after I arrived on the next load.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.