How would you run this?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mstrchf117, Nov 20, 2023.

1. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    A 1500 pickup almost guarantees they'll be sitting in traffic on the way out of town. I would pick up as early as possible and get out of town before the afternoon rush hour starts. I seriously doubt that 23:59 is a scheduled appointment time, so I would call the consignee with my ETA and ask them if they will receive the load at that time. If they can get the load delivered as soon as they arrive in the consignee's city then they might be able to get unloaded and either find a parking place or make some headway towards the next pickup location.

Bean Jr., Bud A., Vic Firth and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Depends on the consignee at what the parking options are for after the unload. If I can stay on the property, then I'm at the shipper by 0700 hoping to get loaded early and be at the consignee before 1400.

If I can't park after the unload, then I'm checking in at the shipper at 1445 and making sure I have a reserved (or otherwise guaranteed) spot close by.

Either way I'd be telling Ops exactly what I think of their scheduling.

Bean Jr. and RockinChair Thank this.
  4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    23:59 sounds to me more like a generic placeholder in the computer system than an actual appointment time. But if I'm wrong then Ops definitely needs to be told why their scheduling sucks.

Bean Jr., Bud A., 86scotty and 2 others Thank this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It sounds like a midnight appointment, but the computer can't handle 00:00.

We used to have a lot of these types of loads. PG, GP, and KC would "make us" take them as a package with other lanes. Usually they went to grocery warehouse. It wasn't bad on the aobr where you could move around off duty. My favorite was Super Value in GB. Grab the load and then park at the yard, go home for supper, come back and sneak the 5 miles down the road to the warehouse, get unloaded, sneak back to the yard and go home. It payed $200 for less than 5 hours of my time, and I'd have a fresh clock to run with at 0700 and theyd always back you up with something nice.

It was especially nice when you only had a few hours on your 70.

RockinChair and mstrchf117 Thank this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The thing is, there are too many variables with this load. It could, probably would, leave you with being out of hours and no place to park.
    Everyone is considering the what if's in this.
    If I can do this or that and if the customer would do this or that.

If I do not have a reasonable certainty of the outcome, I will turn down the load.

7. mstrchf117

mstrchf117 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2016
    Was supposed to be a midnight delivery.

So my plan was get going about 1, get to pickup 14-1500 be on the road about 1700, stop somewhere for dinner, get to final about 2300, get unloaded and head to terminal to shutdown. Well, Murphy had other plans. Get to the pickup and check in. Get told it was actually a set appointment for 1030. Now a work in. Didn't get in a door until 2200. Loaded about 2330. Went to bed, got a few hrs sleep and got going. Ended up getting an appointment for 2359 on the 23rd. Relayed at the terminal I was trying to get to. So kinda (?) Worked out in the end, but ugh wanted to go off on whoever scheduled this load.

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Sounds to me like you got screwed out of 2 days work because the office people don't know how to do their jobs.

Bean Jr., snowlauncher, DUNE-T and 4 others Thank this.
  9. mstrchf117

mstrchf117 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2016
    Kinda, but was my load "home" so not as bad as it seems. Though got me home a day later than requested, but had built that in.

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    With trucking, we have "un-forseen delays" I always preferred loading as soon as possible. If I was given a window to pick up, I would be there at the earliest. That eliminates 1 "un-forseen delay". Now I can proceed down the highway at my leisure. I'm also talking paper logs, not the current electronic stuff. And, a phone call to the shipper would have informed you that there was an exact pick up time.

Bud A., FullMetalJacket and Vic Firth Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.