How's Everyone Doing in LTL Right Now?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2022.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I really can’t complain about how things are going for me personally at FxF. The company just closed 29 barns last week and there’s another round of furloughs starting in September for some other barns, but everything is going well at mine.

I started on a new bid this week, still running days, and so far it’s been great. Way less traffic and driving a decent tractor with no slipseat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hah, you said semi-slow :D

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    I have a buddy that ended up leaving for some reason and is trying to go to SAIA. He's in the Chicago land area. Is it that bad at fxf?

jmz and Mike2633 Thank this.
  5. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Chicagoland area isn’t good right now at FXF. Especially if you work out of a hub. Ready line usually has 8-10 PT vans ready to go. But there’s 10+ road working the dock every night plus 10 or more on furlough.

Texas_hwy_287, jmz and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. KaoMinerva

Feb 5, 2016
    May be a situation where he had to leave then I guess. Last I remember he said a bunch of guys quit and he ended up #13 on the board. He had got a day shift and everything. Isn't fxf Union?

7. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    FXF isn’t Union....but it seems like they run it like one
    Seniority bids...2x yearly bids
    Check offs etc

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Don’t forget the 2 seniority lists. That seems to be sacred to union guys.

‘Olhand and Mike2633 Thank this.
  9. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I did the whole seniority thing over at ABF for a very short while it's fine if that's what you want to do, different strokes for different folks. I'm simple over at GFS seniority really doesn't count for much and we just roll along. I've got it easy though I'm on night shuttle I pull doubles where they tell me, and take it from there. Got lucky 2xs over there was able to get on shuttle once, then quit someone got fired and I was able to get back on it. Doesn't happen much in the food world. GFS is home, they the company drives me crazy sometimes and not excuse managements silly behavior, but all work places are stupid to a point it's just how life is. But I call it home always worked the best for me, I tried working at ABF and I couldn't get into it. Every time I saw a GFS truck on the other side I was whipping my head around missed the place when I was over at ABF and I know they missed me. It's how it is.

By the way nothing wrong with ABF it just wasn't home for me. They had there good points at ABF I had a hard time adjusting to some of the union stuff, although I was starting to get the hang of that towards the end, but they were cool and all over at ABF no hard feelings nothing bad happened to me there, I though the dispatchers and management were fine it just wasn't my scene.

Texas_hwy_287 and jmz Thank this.
  10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I went back and looked at past bids, and my barn has lost one fifth of our runs over the past year. We were just so understaffed to begin with that it never really hit us that hard. It sounds like all of the Chicago yards were staffed up pretty well when things started slowing down, so I can only imagine how hard it hits them to lose so many runs.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  11. KaoMinerva

Feb 5, 2016
    I just talked to that guy and he said he got bumped to like a double Joliet run. He said he's eating on the run so I was like just try to hold off. Losing seniority and starting over is tough but it didn't seem like a dire situation. Hopefully it blows over and those drivers can be straight.

Estes had a really bad year where they cut a ton of runs and them guys were in a super panic. It all blew over tho. I was on the board at the time so I was bothered by it.

Mike2633 and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.