How's things?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 23, 2023.

1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    MA ain't cheap either, at least you get more sun!

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. plynnjr92

plynnjr92 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Inland Empire, CA
    It gets HOT in the Inland Empire, but no snow and ice!

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. authentic251

authentic251 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    How were you able to transition into it/ cybersecurity?

5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I've always been one with a hyper-technical and analytical brain. I just never used it for that type of industry. Fast forward to the last couple years with my son having some rare/aggressive cancers and I woke up and decided I should be doing what I'm good at and have a great aptitude and passion for.

For the last twelve months, I've had my nose to the books for studying, building very complex home labs, and testing out of various certifications to be able to have a better foundation when interviewing. If I had to tally up the hours I've spent studying, mock interviewing, tinkering with the homelab etc, I've likely spent the equivalent of a bachelor's degree worth of studying without the elective BS into making myself a better candidate during interviews.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  6. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    XPO has been picking up since a few months ago when the brilliant business gurus decided to put a hiring freeze on several facilities in lieu of the news that FXF was downsizing its network. Needless to say the freight volume picked up and XPO, who some would argue was already shorthanded at many locations got slammed with freight.
    Now they are still behind in the hiring process, and with the YRC closures, they are telling our city drivers to use "discretion" when picking up freight from new customers. They say they don't want to bite off more than they can chew, but hey, this is trucking. I expect it to get to the point where they are completely backlogged at many of the major hubs, then they will put embargoes in place to catch up. It's all job security for me, though. I guess I should be grateful...

7. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    Our dock at XFG is and has been full now for a few months. We’re holding steady on the number of bills we’re seeing here.

Mike2633 and snowlauncher Thank this.
  8. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I run into the UBU FAC out of the UPI barn every night. Seems like we're seeing more tonnage moving through our lane in the last few weeks. A lot of it comes out of Fargo. I also have been hearing that Las Vegas is so full that they are getting parking citations for all of the long boxes that they are putting in the street around the facility. I also know UDV and USB has been jammed for several months. Like I said, it's job security for us drivers...

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Hi neighbor. Don't take this the wrong way but...
    what the H E double hockey sticks does that mean?
    I have worked for two LTL companies and have never picked up freight that dispatch didn't tell me to get.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    At XPO, a city p&d driver may be dispatched to a pickup address via a handheld device without the local management being involved in the process. There are times that a 3rd party is responsible for setting up the shipping process. Customers may book shipments online or through a remote network in which local dispatchers are left out of the loop as to the nature of the shipment.

Mike2633 and Bill51 Thank this.
  11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Or like they did during the strike a few years back, call in 1 pallet and when the truck gets there, load him up with 10.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.