How's things?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 23, 2023.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, that’s not right. How are dispatchers supposed to be able to play favorites like that?

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I'm just paraphrasing the upper echelon of our company, but they don't want to jeopardize our regular accounts by taking on too much new. That's why they are asking drivers to check in with local management beforehand. They are also concerned about akward or excessive length shipments, which can affect the volume of the freight lane.

4. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    We have that happen, usually one or two more pallets on a separate bill, but that isn't taking on a new customer.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s a good thing. That means less “help” for the ones who want to lay down all day.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Those were my favorite stops when I was on the city board. Mainly because my dispatcher loved to run me into areas surrounding Boston that if I had to come back to the terminal for an mty, it would be game over for any of the other pickups they wanted because they'd be closed. Not because I didn't want to do it, but because the dispatcher would let the guys at the top of the board decline the work instead of making them pick things up that were en route to the terminal.

'Wah I have seniority, I don't want to do pickups'. Brilliant, let's let you pass pickups to all the junior guys so you can come back mty, and then the junior drivers miss a boatload of pickups because they're green and still figuring their stuff out, or they make the pickups and end up getting back too late for getting priority freight on the first linehaul runs.

City drivers at that barn on the upper end of the board were primadonas about everything.

7. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
  8. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    A lot of high seniority guys have the entitlement syndrome. Bigger centers it’s worse with road and city. I’m sure most are grateful for their situation but others have been towards or at the top for so long they don’t know how good they have it. When I was on furlough I was looking for another job outside of trucking. It’s rough out there to find a job making 75-100k a year when the only thing on your resume is truck driving. You can get a trades apprenticeship but you’re gonna be eating hotdogs and spam for 4-7 years before you get close to what you were making.

Slim51, McUzi, Mike2633 and 4 others Thank this.
  9. plynnjr92

plynnjr92 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Inland Empire, CA
    Some of the road drivers at my barn are like this. We're the largest terminal in California so we run a lot of freight, but every now and again I hear guys complaining about pulling heavy trailers.

I'd personally rather be grossed out than empty. Sure I'll climb hills slowly, but when the high winds pick up, I'd prefer being planted to the pavement than tumbling through the air like a stock car at Talladega.

McUzi and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Click on red X to see stub.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I have almost 19 years and I have no problem getting my work done, pickups or otherwise.

The only thing I ##### about is why should I have to go do somebody else’s work after knocking my brains out in my own territory with 16-18 deliveries and possibly 5 of my own pickups to do.

Mike2633 and hotrod1653 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.