How's this for a job offer for a new driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Goldenfan, Mar 30, 2022.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Well knowing nothing but math,

100% 2700+ miles 45.5 hazmat 8, per diem 6

Assuming 75 k, to get there before taxes.... 126k miles a year, to just barely hit 2700 a week, thats 46 weeks of driving

So thats doable but low ending it,

Per diem 6, 41 cpm, havmat endorsement only 1, thats 156,000 miles a year, divided by 52 weeks is 3 k miles a week

Then take out taxes of 12k, any other benefits, you get paid maybe 50-60k take home, but gotta chase miles.

Its probably fine but theyre likely lying a bit and only giving you best case scenario as their "average" (like everyone else)

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Skallagrime I took 2700 miles X .465 and it's $1255.50 a week. That's $65286 a year for 52 weeks. The email I got from recruiting said .41 cents a mile .06 is per diem so that brings it down to .35 cents a mile base that's taxed. That's right in the email. Are you taking it as .465 then plus .06 per diem for a total of .525? If so that's not it unfortunately.
    I think you are. I have hazmat so I get the .01 cent which puts my base pay at .42 and .36 that's taxed.
    Doing 2700 miles a week at .525 is $1417.50 and 52 weeks a year is $73710 a year. That's not the pay rate though and I sure am not going to work 52 weeks every year without anytime off. I think that's what you were using.

4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Ah yeah i was just adding 6 cents onto mileage not backing out taxable, soooo, yeah even worse

Coffey and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  5. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    The pay is low, even for a new driver. If you run 3,000 miles a week @.44 per mile, that comes out to $1,320.00. 2400 miles @ .41 is $984, gross - before deductions are taken out. Is this a W-2 or 1099 position.
    The fact that they did not answer your question on detention time is a red flag! They should be able to tell you when it starts and how much you get and for how long. The same for breakdown pay and lay over pay.

Make sure to get a clear explanation on when per diem is paid as well. Good luck!

Coffey Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I would be ok with that type of job starting out. That's right in line, perhaps even better, than someone starting out of school, and really not that far from what an average experienced driver makes. Don't worry about the cpm. They cover a lot of territory, and they have steady customers, so you can make enough miles to make a paycheck. To me, that's what tells the story. Not only that, if you stick with it long enough, you'll get to the big money very quickly. I think you're only getting that pay because you have to go into training so it'll go up over time. I give a vote of yes, go for it!

7. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I think talking to other drivers is overrated. If 2 drivers work for the same company, it will be 2 different stories. A company that fits one driver, may not fit another driver. Then the experiences will be totally different. Me personally, if I had talked to drivers for every company I've ever been at, I'd find myself getting indecisive as I've seen on here with certain members. I think if it sounds good to you individually, then one should go for it.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  8. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Here's the email I received from them on the pay and other questions.

Thanks for reaching out!

The entire time you are training you will receive $18.75/hour. When you are assigned your truck you will receive .41/per mile, bonus miles are; 2500-2700 miles per week an additional 3 cents per mile, 2701-2899 miles additional 4 ½ cents per mile, and over 2900 miles per week 5 ½ cents per mile. We also offer an extra .01/per mile for having your hazmat, while hauling hazmat you receive an additional .07/per mile.

The trucks do have APUs and inverters, along with a refrigerator.

Our per diem is .06/per mile. Meaning the base rate would be .35/mile and .06/per diem = .41/per mile.

I didn't get an answer on detention pay as I said earlier. Am I understanding the pay correctly as I've posted above?
    This is a smaller company within a couple hours of me and I do know they have long term drivers there. They don't travel through my town often but I'm not far out of route either.
    From my talk with the training person they're flexible with time off which is a plus for me as I probably won't get that anywhere else. They supposedly are good about running you in the area you want to be in. For being so close to Chicago they have little going on there and they bypass it. The trucks have EZ Pass too. However the pay does seem low and Swift has a dedicated account in my town but they're a mega. I saw where KLLM just raised pay significantly for their drivers as well.

9. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Having a 30 year old cdl with no experience is not a good thing Id take the job and jump to another company once you have more time in unless you like it there

10. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    And I think i heard bigger company would want to put you in a refresh Course and make you sign a contract to stay for a while

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  11. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Contrary to what so many drivers say, it really isn't anything wrong with working for a mega. Swift having a dedicated run in your area is a testament to a major advantage megas have: options.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.