Hub oil

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dumbitfown4me, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Dumbitfown4me

Dumbitfown4me Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Phoenix
    Hi guys,
    I'm a newer driver, about 1 year solo. Just trying to understand the hub oil/hub and how it relates to me. Currently waiting for shop to fix steer axle oil leak. I drive a 2016 cascadia.
    Can you explain the hub assembly to me
    What is the most effective way to find a leak early/ where to look.
    Do you always smell gear oil if it leak
    Please help me learn about this so as to be a safer driver

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    The easiest way to spot a leaking hub seal will be the streaks of oil radiating out from the hub on the inside of the rim and tire.

Once they go they go fast.

4. Dumbitfown4me

Aug 20, 2019
    Phoenix
    Thank you, please comment more, I don't know much about mechanics so need all the details people can give me.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have not dealt with hubs on anything built after 1992 with the exception of trailers and steers. Those hubs do matter but are usually sealed. ONCE in a while you find a hub that has a small center removable rubber cap, after cooling the wheel over a short time, pop the cap, stick a finger in there and it should cover your 2nd knuckle or close to it.

I include all the wheels, bearings etc in my pretrip. But there isnt anything above and beyond to be a "Safer driver" that is a state of mind. If you find a defect your company is required to fix the defect and sign your DVIR that it is repaired and safe to go.

IF you have a company that refuses to fix the item, then you know you want to start looking for another company that will be safer. And double down on your efforts to have the defect fixed before you drive her onto the highway for your run today.

If you ever got into a accident and the investigator learned that you found a defect and your company did not fix it and you went ahead and drive away? Well both you and the company are now exposed to civil suits etc which will cost way more money than it was to fix the original defect.

Ive said enough. I do not know much about trucks built after around 2007 or so. Things have changed between my time out there and today.

6. Dumbitfown4me

Aug 20, 2019
    Phoenix
    Cattleman84 that's a good tip, I'll start looking for that in particular. Aside from oil on break components, are there Any other hints of hub/bearing problens? I want to know as much about it as I can. I pretrip everyday, but I realize now that I don't actually know much about my truck. I've had her since I went solo and she's been good to me.

7. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    As far as hub seals go oil leak is usually the first indicator in my experience... Oil inside rim usually indicates the hub seal... But depending on design and position (steer, drive, trailer) it can also be on the outside of rim. And each position requires slightly different work to fix.

My best advise for you, as you dont have much mechanical knowledge, is to look for excess or new oil/grease marks on, around, or in anything that spins, pivots, rotates, or bends. If you notice anything unusual or out of the normal take pictures and send them to who ever in your company deals with repairs and ask if it is a possible symptom of something wrong... If they blow it off as nothing without an explanation get a mechanic (on the road or at a terminal) to take a quick look and see what they have to say about it.

8. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    This pic is on a pickup... But it will look very similar on a truck. This is either a bad hub or axle seal. See how the oil streaks out away from the center of the tire and wheel assembly? If you see this dont let anyone blow you off and tell you its nothing to worry about.

1464396271.2396.jpg

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    That's stop now lol.

10. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Lol... Yeah thats a pretty bad leak there... I have nursed a pickup along like that to get to a mechanic to have it fixed before... But I think I bought up most if not all of the gear oil between where I noticed it and the mechanics shop. Stopping very 30 miles or so to add more oil... That was a long day.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Bearings are a whole different topic. Learning about the cage, races inner and outer followed by the bearing surfaces etc. It's really important to the truck. But not something that fails often. (I have had two fail in my lifetime so it's relatively rare)

Others have mentioned something I consider a problem. Do not let anyone brush you off a problem. THEY are not driving the truck. you are. YOU decide if a mechanic needs to fix this or that or whatever, you do not accept brush off.

If the shop person sees there is no issue he or she will take a moment to educate you and that would be something very valuable for the future.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.