Hunts Point Coop, Bronx. Advice>..

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by earthbrown, Aug 7, 2006.

1. covenantbiker

covenantbiker Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Conroe, TX
    we had to go there a couple of times and it waiting to get into your door was kinda nerve wracking but once there, you just sat back and watched the circus. Horns blowing, backing up, driving around parked trucks at mach3, people walking around.

The only problem I had with it, I am a female and the first time we were there, it was night and the store was closed so I had to find a security guard to open the lady's room for me. When the store is open, they have the key. I got some strange looks and the dock hands really didn't talk to me unless I asked them a question about our load.

I basically got ignored and I also stayed in the truck and when I had to use the restroom, hubby went with me and ONCE I used the porta potty and I was scared to death, not from what was inside but what might follow me. Once again, hubby was near.. lol. and the potty smelled better than some I have had to use.

We have had to spend the night there before and it wasn't bad but not very restful either. I'm just glad we are not running produce anymore.

So if you are a lady going into HP, use the potty before you get there lol ok, same goes for the guys too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KnuckleBuster

KnuckleBuster Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Wellsboro Pa, Lakeland Fl
    I ran into Hunts Point for quite a few years. Never had a bit of trouble. I will say that there's a big contrast between pre-Guliani Hunts Point and post. Before Rudy cleaned things up in NYC, it was pretty much a wild west shootout. During those years, it was nothing to see thugs riding behind a loaded reefer, with two thugs on the hood of a pickup following behind, throwing produce to thugs in the back of the pickup while the units were moving down the street. Many drivers never even realized what was going on until they noticed their doors swinging when they stopped for a red light. At one time, Hunts Point was really bad, especially if you were a meathauler.

But I slept and delivered there often. As long as I didnt go looking for trouble, never had any problem whatsoever.

4. uptownkid

uptownkid Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2008
    New York
    I've seen that a time or to myself not living to far from there back in the day.

5. Sick97

Sick97 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Exit 8 NJ
    I'm 20 years old I remember going there since I was 5 when my dad use to haul produce from Miami man those were some crazy people I remember a lot lizard threw a huge rock at my dads trailer people always coming up to you at lights still go there a few times here and there with my dad I was there about a month ago I found a container that was stolen infront of the meat market crooks are still out there doing what they do best! It has def cleaned up alot easy to get there from the gwb

6. stocktonhauler

stocktonhauler Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    Hunt's Point is very controversial, but I've never had ANY problems unloading there. I love this place as dirty as it is. So, read on.

I've never paid a lumper fee, and the guys simply wake me up to tell when to back for the unload. I watch to make sure the attitude is OK, but where you are delivering a single produce, I'd simply go back to the sleeper until they tell you to get the BOLs. Having said this, it's important to have a good broker back you up. The customer is obviously the company there receiving the goods, but if there's a good relationship between the broker and the company rep, this certainly helps.

Now, Hunt's Point is a bit tricky getting into on the first go-around, but don't be afraid. Arrive in the middle of the night if possible. George Washington Bridge will seem like a nightmare, but hang in there. Take the exit recommended by the navigator, but after that follow the street signs for the truck route to the market. Watch for low overhead areas in certain lanes and on zigzags around columns of the elevated freeway, but ignore the posted 12 foot signs, you can follow the truck route with a 13'6" vehicle height no problem. Study the map before you go in, but eventually, you'll arrive at Halleck, where you turn left to arrive at the junction of Halleck and Spofford.

You'll probably think that the $20- entry fee is a ripoff, considering the crowded stinky mess the market really is, but the entire place is actually very well managed. Everyone is pretty helpful actually when it comes to backing into the assigned dock, so just take your time and back in as well as you can given the limitations on pull-up space. When parked, don't idle your engine, unless it's below 20F, and be careful where in the back you park your truck. Security guards are helpful and will keep any gangsters outside from marking your truck. There is a restroom, a restaurant, and mail/FEDEX drop boxes in a centralized service area on one side of the market. I recommend the pizza place just outside the pedestrian gate, at the corner of Hunts Point and Halleck. That is some of the best fast-food pizza in New York, no kidding. I've had similar style, but much worse pizza down in the financial district of Manhattan, and for higher prices.

When you are MT, DON'T mindlessly leave to cross back over the GW Bridge (free direction) and return to Vince Lombardi NJ Turnpike Service Plaza! The first time I was there, another trucker recommended that to me. Big mistake. VL plaza is clean but surrounded by freeways. It's sometimes easier to get a good load on the free side of GW bridge anyway (although avoid one from Brooklyn, Bronx only, maybe Long Island can be OK. There are a lot trickier destinations than Hunt's Points, as well as costly toll bridges. Negotiate the complete route before signing on to a load).

The best part about Hunt's Point is its access to NYC. You can leave your truck safely parked at Hunts Point, and leave the market on foot, walk down Hunts Point Avenue for several blocks, basically back to where the freeway runs overhead. Hunt's Point is a bit spooky for having a lot of low income housing, but it's safe enough. Just dress down. Under the freeway is NYC Metro Hunts Point station.

Purchase your ticket on the subway, and you are good to go ANYWHERE in NYC. NYC has the world's most extensive subway network, so you can't beat it for price and opportunity to get away from the truck. I love just riding the old system, and it's very fast. Its about a 45 minute ride from Hunt's Point to the bottom of Manhattan, where the free Staten Island Ferry makes a loop past the Statue of Liberty. NYC is safer than you think, legendary Harlem is really not dangerous--even at night! And, there's a whole lot of cheap thrills and exercise going to see all these icons of history, architecture, business, and entertainment. If you aren't sure how to find your way around Manhattan, write me a message and I'll provide some advice, but be sure to look at the NYC metro map (Don't be scared by it, any trucker can navigate the subway system).

NYC isn't as much fun as my hometown favorite, SF, but walking around NYC is great cheap entertainment. So, all your fearful country boy style truckers, head to NYC. :biggrin_25514:

7. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    No thanx,:biggrin_25511: I'll keep my country ### out..:biggrin_255:

losttrucker Thanks this.
  8. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    I been to the point more times then I can count. You will be fine It's not that bad.

9. SuperLiner

SuperLiner Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Good Ol' Arizona
    I used to go there regularly "early 80's" I was always glad when I got "inside" the gates. But I'd agree most folks / drivers etc. that I had to deal with there were overall on the up and up, and I never had any problems. I was usually always coming from the south to Got off 95 around Elizabeth/Linden NJ. and ran the 278 over the Goethals, and the Verrazano Narrows (The Outer Bridge Crossing) and ran 278 all the way to Hunts Point Ave. Coming out "depending on where I was headed sometimes I'd cut across lower Manhatten and through the Holland Tunnel and pick up the 78 On the NJ. side

But I ALWAYS tried to get in / out at night. Getting stuck in NYC in the daytime is not for the timid. With the HOS like they are now.. One could run out of hours just trying to get out of town.

Not sure how it would be today Better / Worse? :biggrin_25524:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    I rarely reply to any of these things--but this time i just couldn't take anymore!Since there is so much BAD INFO HERE IN THIS THREAD! So for all of you who claim to know about or who CLAIM to have been to the point--let me clear up a few things. (yes I am one of those cranky old hands that all you youngins gripe about)
    ---Ok first of all the question is about the CO-OP market which is the meat market not the produce market! It is around the corner!
    Both markets require a gate fee and are now fenced and patrolled(and have been for more years than I can remember!)--I've been sleeping at both since going there in my Grandads B-model back in the 50s--and yes I was just there last week! So don't sweat it and ignore 90% of the horror stories--it's like anywhere else--if you want to find trouble YOU CAN--but go in and take care of business and both markets(depending on your specific customer) are typically better than any grocery warehouse you will go to.
    --Now as for directions(from jersey) Cross the GW Bridge(I-95 north--yes I80 becomes I95 where turnpike ends) follow 95 into bronx take exit 4a--Sheridan expyI895--stay in rite lane and immeadialty exit off # Weschester Ave--stay staraight at top of ramp--thru traffic lite(you will be under elevated subway--looks spooky but nothing to worry with) follow that road--it will zig a quick rite and the left as subway heads underground--follow to next light(Bruckner blvd) stay to your left--you will see large 4 lane road merging from your left---go to third (3rd) liteleggatt Ave(ignore signs at 2d lite for HUNTS POINT AVE--you will see this route to market is RESTRICTED TO BOX TRUCKS!!)
    @3rd lite make left-(-go thru iron bridge(more than adequate height for 13'6--bear to left--follow to dead end--the wall in front of you is THE NEW YORK CITY TERMINAL MARKET--commonly known as Hunts Point--THIS is the Produce Market--to enter-make a left and stay to the left--the entrance will be approx 100yards to your right(it is a wide u-turn to enter.
    To go to the HUNTS POINT CO-OP MARKET(the MEAT market) make a left at dead end--@1st lite(food Center Blvd)make a left stay in left lane-approx 100yards the entrance will be on your right--wide turn into gate.
    Just my.02

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
    bbechtel16 and D.O.A Thank this.
  11. HFC

HFC Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Governor's Island, NYH used to be to the US Army what Fort Benning, GA is now and what Parris Island, SC is the Marine Corps. The artillery was trained at Fort Monroe, VA and the cavalry at Carlisle Barracks, PA.

When you were in NYC did you get to go to Governor's Island?

Additional note:

I found some interesting comments at the end of this article ...

http://www.andrewcusack.com/2005/12/28/governors-island/

Also, another good website for the driver, etc. who wants to be a tourist in NYC ... or pretend that they did travel to NYC ...

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/

After the Coast Guard left in 1996 ... the end of the military presence since the Dutch colonial army in the 1600's ... and then there was a period of time when the statement "Now what do we do with this place" ? ... came to mind ... the real estate types were chomping at the bit for this historical island ...

But the National Park Service stepped in to get most of Governors Island and another part of the island belongs to a commission that is run by the New York State government with input from the City of New York government.

Here's the NPS section ...

http://www.nps.gov/gois/index.htm

Here's the NYS government section ...

http://www.govisland.com/html/home/home.shtml

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.