Hurrican Irene, Eastern Seaboard, BE READY!!

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by GuysLady, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I'm actually headed to Coatesville PA for a midnight delivery tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get back out about 8 hours ahead of Irene. This would be the second time that when everyone else is trying to get out, I'm the yahoo trying to get in. Last time was Houston, Hurricane Ike, in '08.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Greensville SC... may get a truckwash with free blow drying! :biggrin_25522: :biggrin_25521:

4. zebcohobo

zebcohobo Vincent Van Gopher

Jul 19, 2010
    Redbank,SC
    Looks like we'll get a glancing blow instead of a direct hit.

5. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
  6. HFC

HFC Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2007
    The three places I have seen on a map from a television station (16:12:57 Hours EDT, 25 August 2011) that will have a direct hit are ... Ocracoke Island, North Carolina; Ocean City, Maryland and New York, New York.

But other places within a few hundred miles have concerns with power outages, flooding and wind damage.

Also, I just heard that the Martin Luther King, Jr. statue dedication (28 August 2011) will go on as planned OUTSIDE. The prayer service has been moved from the National Cathedral due to earthquake damage to the Washington Convention Center.

Hyde County, North Carolina on their website has no special information on the front page about Hurricane Irene.

Ocean City, Maryland has a dialog box that comes up and everything else is subdued out ... basically it says IF YOU ARE NOT EMERGENCY PERSONNEL ... GET OUT ...
    http://ococean.com/

Dare County, North Carolina does have scrolling lettering on it's front page and this is what you get after you click the scrolling text ...

http://www.darenc.com/EmgyMgmt/Alert/index.asp

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    GuysLady Thanks this.
  7. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    Folks, I am not too sure of this turn to north that NWS keeps calling for.. I'm still thinking SC may take a more direct hit.

123456 and The Challenger Thank this.
  8. kid_cardiac

kid_cardiac Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Florida
    Just got as message over my Quallcomm about Irene. Says if we are delivering to a destination that will potentially be affected by Irene, to call our DM and make sure they are open.

HA! From living in Florida for half my life and been through two major hurricanes (Charley and Jeanne in 2004), I can rest assured that these customers probably will not be open for a while.

The Challenger, GuysLady and LaKitten Thank this.
  9. LaKitten

LaKitten Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Well I looked online and Charlstown SC is now on a Tropical Storm Warning. They have not been giving any info on the TV for that area.

Well Kittyfoot is supposed to deliver there tomorrow morning then he can get out of that area!

10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It's going to start hitting the pre-frontal winds from the cold front that is currently over the Ohio River valley in about the next 12-24 hours. The NWS is probably very safe calling for Irene to turn northward. No doubt, SC and NC are going to take a hit though... and probably NYC as well.

GuysLady Thanks this.
  11. zebcohobo

zebcohobo Vincent Van Gopher

Jul 19, 2010
    Redbank,SC
    Even with all the advance warnings, there will inevitably be more than a few standing outside their busted up homes with other peoples busted up stuff in their yards going "I can't believe this happened"

To those in the projected path, board up your windows secure loose items i.e. Lawn furniture, grills, bicycles, small boats, lawn mowers anything that may become a missile during the 100mph gusts. Seems like common sense but in the hysteria and confusion things get overlooked. Be safe everybody.

LaKitten and GuysLady Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.