Husband buying truck for Fedex contract

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by starry, Mar 3, 2008.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    it's going to fall on deaf ears as not everyone fallows that logic. You have to drive real hard to make those new truck payments and no offense but with these new motors it is no guarantee that you won't be broken down.
    I will take the down time for repairs because for me it's more home time and I don't have to bust hump to make a truck payment. If I had drivers in trucks though I would have new trucks.
    Now granted in a situation like she is getting into where you have a contract to move a load every day then I would seriously consider a newer truk as being broken down to much may loose you your contract.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starry

starry Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Colorado
    One of the good things about Fedex as well is they have a lot of resources if you do break down set up to get you up right away. One thing about driving mail or packages is they want to be very sure that they get there on time!

I do realize we are not doing this "ideally" with a new truck and great interest and all, but the opportunity is there and the truck has relatively low miles. If we can get through the next 3 years with no major setbacks than we can eventually build from there. If it wasn't with Fedex and he hadn't worked for another O/O there for so long we wouldn't even consider this "jump", but I have a good feeling about it and yes, we will deff LLC! :)

You all have given me a lot to think about though and a lot of good input, very much appreciated!

4. starry

starry Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Just an update, Hubby signed the Fedex Contract today and the truck is secured (2004 International 9200i Eagle I found out). He also found a really good CPA who is willing to take us on! So we are officially Owner / Operators now! I think the gas is only 1.30 a gallon or something like that through Fedex and they also have drivers "in a pinch" who will bail you out if you have problems as well as 24 hour steeply discounted mechanics and discounted rentals if need be. It seems like they cover every base as far as making sure the drivers are covered. They also give you extra money every three months which is put into a private maintenance account for you. From all the resources they have for the routes and drivers I think it's the perfect start for us!

5. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I wouldn't mind a fed ex doubles line haul contract but I don't have anyone to team drive with. Hey bronc, wana move to TX?

6. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

how about we just get a tx to mt run....then we could both be home every other day....lol

one problem...neither of our trucks are white...and i aint paintin mine all white

that and they are both too old

7. starry

starry Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL yah, it was hard for him to find a truck meeting the specs in our range. He told me today he has to put stickers on it too LOL. They have to be 2004 or newer but then are "grandfathered" in. The great thing about it is right now he is only home on weekends and tired all weekend, with this route if we move to his base area (which we are planning on renting our home and doing that) he will be home every night,. We have a 4 year old so that will be so great for our family even if it's just a few hours a night while we are there!

8. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
  9. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I've heard that truck is now leased with Swift....(grin)

[​IMG]

10. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
  11. 379 Peterbilt

379 Peterbilt Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Wisconsin
    You're laughin', admit it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.