Husband got 2 tickets on top of Grapevine in CA- question? Please read!!?!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by woofless, Dec 9, 2008.

1. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Excellent point, amigo.
    I reckon I'm luckier than I realized.
    I used to be a Rolling Stone,
    :happy6:
    but I gathered no moss.
    Now-a-daze I'm a Rock of Ages.
    I wonder what I'll be in the future? :toothy5:

A former Day Tripper, -- I fought the law -- but the law won,
    with a little help from my friends. :smt071
    Just because I sang out of tune
    , :smt034
    they stood up and walked out on me.
    :walk:
    Can I get a witness? :glasses7:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    My only two speeding tickets in any vehicle since the day I started driving at 16 were in Ohio. The kicker is they were in the exact same spot, the exact same way, and only two weeks apart..lol.. Both times he came up behind me after merging onto the interstate as I was going by.. After the second one my terminal manager pretty much asked me if I was stupid..lol.. God bless him and I'm glad he's happily retired - he was a great guy to work for..

4. Tyler Derden

Tyler Derden Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Because the way they put the signs there make it a cash cow. No way any driver would think he needed to slow from 55 in the areas they post 45, then 35. Transition from 55 to 45 has one poorly visible sign, which if you miss, and are still at 55, becomes a 15mph over all of the sudden. While still almost flat grade! Long before any serious grade. The whole transition is about 4 miles BEFORE YOUR START GOING DOWN HILL!! Nowhere else have I seen this. Nothing to do with safety. Huge, 5 Lane freeway you can see far down the road (of your not distracted looking for speed limit signs)

TokyoJoe Thanks this.
  5. Tyler Derden

Jan 9, 2019
    Come on. The speed limit dropping to 45mph, then 35 while still going UPHILL then flat for 4 miles before going downhill is called a speed trap. You mis the 1 or 2 prolly placed 45 mph signs going UP HILL, and you get NAILED at the 35 mph, going half uphill then Flat for 2 more miles!! Even when you start going downhill, there's hardly any turns, it's a giant 5 or 6 lanes and you can see for miles!!! Plus there's a couple runaway truck ramps. The easiest grade, with the least justified speed limit drop anywhere = speed trap.
    Easy to go over there because it's totally safe to do 55 where the signs drop to 45 then 35. Some of us focus on the road and traffic more than speed limit signs.

TokyoJoe and highwayMike Thank this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    No traffic school for cdl holders, unless it has been changed.
    Kern county has NEVER had a judge sympathetic for truckers, they have always been known for the highest commercial (log etc.) tickets in the state.

Think good attourney, and hope for the best.

Tyler Derden Thanks this.
  7. Tyler Derden

Jan 9, 2019
    Which prepaid did you get? Prepaid legal services or? Actually, do you remember which law firm did they contact you to?

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Be careful in Montana...

Tyler Derden Thanks this.
  9. Tyler Derden

Jan 9, 2019
    Yes the huge 35 mph sign with the lights finally pops up just as your starting the step down grade but previous signs aren't so visible and are either on flat ground or slightly uphill! Plus, if you're empty or light load, you can easily go faster safely. It's so straight once the grade hits, even a runaway truck could make it down safely. I haven't heard of any accidents they're have you? It's easy to get caught doing 15+ over in the 35 there. I was paying attention, both hands on the wheel and I missed the first 45 mph sign. When I saw the first 35 mph, I hit the brakes but the cop pulled me over anyway
    You mean the LAST 35 mph sign is that huge. Previous signs aren't as visible especially since they're on flat or up hill where you're not looking for them!

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    This was a 10 year old zombie before you guys dug it up.

scythe08, ncmickey, Mikaela16 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Aside from all the other 'stuff', we should be aware of - and follow - the speed limit signs.

Anyone pulled over for speeding when there are clearly posted signs deserves the ticket.
    I just wish more were handed out.

Along that stretch of highway there is no place that the speed limit reduces while going up hill, and all the signs are easy to see.
    I agree that some of it is nearly flat, but they just want trucks to slow down BEFORE the hill - not as an after-thought on the way down. Something many truckers fail to do, and end up with brakes on fire and crashing into things.

And what does it cost you in the end?
    Perhaps 10 minutes if you were going full speed.
    Is that much time lost worth the risk of a ticket that would always cost more?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.