Husband starting with Roehl 1/11/10

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Moetou, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Young-Gun-101

Young-Gun-101 Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Iowa
    ya what bucksandducks said im heading there first week of april and recruiter said that everybody start on van. but i will be jumping over to flats as soon as i can.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moriarti

Moriarti Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    NW Indiana
    Any info on why? it seems counter-intuitive, unless they're trying to slow down flatbed entry. Or are they just trying to get all of your students to sit in the truck while you fold up tarps?

4. grc56_tn

grc56_tn Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2009
    all over
    I was National van and during my evo (started in july) I was on flatbed. My trainers had me out securing loads and doing tarp work even tho I was going into the van division

5. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    I guess they decided that learning to drive the truck safely and learning to secure all the different loads was too much for 20+ days. I think if they would concentrate on getting flat bed students with flat bed trainers and van students with van trainers it would help. I guess the logistics of picking up students doesn't work that way though. Flat bed trainers will still train van guys and vice versa. I have only had a couple of van students that had a problem with helping me. One guy said he was on his ten hour break and I really couldn't argue with that. All I ask of a van student is too help me roll up the tarps. It is lot easier with two guys than having to keeping walking back and forth. I also have them either undo the bungees when untarping or just hang them on the tarps when tarping. I never ask them to climb on anything or really do anything physical. I just have them do the things that will save time and leave more time for sleeping, eating, showering, and other training.

6. spinpsychle

spinpsychle Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2008
    New Brighton, MN
    This makes sense. It's largely the reason I chose dry van - after 6 weeks at school I was still nervous about the idea of driving in Chicago. Much less in a truck. There was no way I was going to be confident about making sure stuff didn't fall off my trailer.

7. kondia

kondia Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Bloomsburg PA
    I just finished my Evo II training, took my road and written test and passed everything 100%. This issued me a slightly used Volvo, this thing is like brand new. Waiting for my first load.

8. majestyk

majestyk Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2009
    las vegas, nv
    Congrats. Be safe.

9. kondia

kondia Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Bloomsburg PA
    grc I too was with flatbedders for all of my evo I training even though I am in the Reefer division. I don't know if I could ever be a flatbedder, thats alot of work. Its ok if the sun is shining and there is no wind but tarp in the winter when the wind is blowing, forget it.

10. Moetou

Moetou Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2009
    New Albany, Indiana
    Congrats :biggrin_25514: Kondia on pass your test and getting your truck! My husband is testing this morning. I hope he passes and get on a slightly more regular schedule. Good Luck and be safe Kondia!:yes2557:

11. Moetou

Moetou Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2009
    New Albany, Indiana
    He passed is test and had to wait for someone going to WI to hitch a ride so he could get his truck! He got his blue truck. It must be one from the refer buy-out. He picks up his first load this morning and is headed for Missouri. Yeah Him!:biggrin_25514:

mycorky, Baack and JustSonny Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.