Husband/Wife Team to start with Covenant

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by transportHER, Sep 12, 2011.

1. transportHER

transportHER <strong>The Dynamic Duo</strong>

May 3, 2011
    And so it begins...My wife and I have now completed training with Bradford-Union Career Technical School located in Starke, Florida. Wonderful trainers there! (My wife made a 99% on the PTI and I made 100%. Good thing it wasn't the other way around.)
    Our recruiter at Covenant was very helpful and professional. We just received our letters from the Department Homeland Security and finally our licenses with all our endorsements. We are excited, a bit nervous, but very ready for orientation in Chattanooga, TN come this Sunday. Our children are grown and self sufficient, so no worries there. Looking forward to the first time I let my grandson sit in the seat and pull the horn.

Sharing these new experiences together will be wonderful. Looking forward to all the people we are going to meet out there.
    And so it begins...

aggie1978 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    PTL !!

Good Luck !!

transportHER Thanks this.
  4. Hawkeye15

Hawkeye15 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Good luck to you and your wife, hope you can go out there and get some good miles!

5. aggie1978

aggie1978 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Jackson, MI
    good luck, My wife and I started with covenant great stepping stone

6. majortom

majortom Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Husband/wife driving together is known to be the most successful/sustainable of that 'niche' of trucking known as "teams."

Best of luck out there. There are many thousands of years of experience on this board. Remember........as newbies.....or experienced.....there is NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!!!! Only stupid answers......

Check in frequently...........

7. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Thank you majortom! We do appreciate that. And we will take you up on your experience. My wife and I both believe in asking questions. We are hoping to get the miles we anticipate. (safely)

We finished our first day of orientation. It went very well. The staff at Covenant is very friendly and helpful. So far we have had a good experience. The food during orientation wasn't the greatest, but I suppose they are preparing us for the world of truck stop food. My wife and I both passed our driving tests and are now preparing for our Team Trainer assignment. Guess this is where prayer will truly come in handy.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  8. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Orientation is complete. Ron and I both passed our driving tests. Everyone has been very kind all throughout every process. From the recruiter (Liz = wonderful) to the sweet girl at the reception counter at the motel...they have all been wonderful. I do believe we made a great decision in choosing Covenant.

We met our trainer today. And he's a good one!!! He has received the one million preventable accident free miles award. He has driven for over 25 years and has been training new drivers for over 10 years. Tomorrow we begin our 35 days of OTR hands-on instruction. Can't wait!

The Challenger and 123456 Thank this.
  9. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Following up.... We have now been driving and our trainer is fantastic. He goes above just instruction and critique. He also gives accounts of actual real life scenarios he has experienced in his many years OTR. Pointers about security, tips on getting good rest, the importance of taking time to get a good meal and hygiene. That is one thing Ron and I were both grateful for. Dennis is strict about keeping his truck clean and keeping up a good personal presentation to Covenant and to outside vendors. Well, back to the road. Had a repower in Utah. Now off to Wisconsin.

10. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Following UP... We are into our 3rd week of OTR training with our trainer. I have to make a correction to my previous post. I stated that our trainer, Dennis had been driving for over 25 years. He has been a driver for almost 40 years. My husband and I have learned SO much from him. He answers every question I have (and I have many). Although, quite a quirky fella, he gets things through to us very efficiently. My first experience driving in rush hour traffic in Dallas Texas was quite a roller coaster ride. Having to be more aggressive in making a lane change is difficult for me, but I now understand the importance. Missing an exit can really put a damper of things.
    We are very glad to have gotten an experienced driver/trainer. He has been more than happy to give us tips that he has picked up over his many years of driving. Hopefully, we can retain the mass of information that he has given us.

11. lilrdwrior2011

lilrdwrior2011 Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Portsmouth, Ohio
    Update please on how everything is going now! :biggrin_25519:

amarth2008 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.