Hydronic d5?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by melsno, Nov 23, 2016.

1. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Hey guys i bought a used cascadia about a year ago i noticed it had one of those hydronic d5 under the sleeper. I try to start it up all i got was a Puff of white smoke. I would like to service it my self i am local so the truck will be getting a lot of cold starts and wanted this thing to warm my engine before start and no i dont want a apu since i will only use it at the start of the day. My question is i seen many videos of people starting it in their homes. What do i need besides a 12v battery to get it running in my garage? A detail answer will be welcomed.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    Are you asking about bench testing it inside the garage? Or on the truck parked inside the garage? I would advise against running it inside a building for periods of time without some kind of exhaust system to take care of the fumes. You will love it when you get it running. I've had mine for 6 yrs.

4. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Just bench testing it and it does not start so i wanted to clean it out and service it but also wanted to make sure it runs before i install it since its a nightmare to get it under the cab. also will leave the doors and windows open or just turn it on outside.

Lostkeys Thanks this.
  5. kennry

kennry Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Try running kerosene for about an hour through it.Every couple years mine smoke and won't start.just pull the fuel line off your fuel tank and stick it in a gallon jug of kerosene.

melsno Thanks this.
  6. imurphy907

imurphy907 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2016
    They usually require an external fuel pump to supply fuel to the burner. Check that the fuel pump is working, seems to be the biggest failure I see with those units. I have 14 of the airtronic units in various stuff for cab heat.

melsno Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.