Hydroplaned in personal vehicle. Got citation for failure to maintain lane

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Timetrucker, Dec 9, 2018.

1. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    What? Not sure what your analogy has to do with having the OP check company policy. It is a pretty well know fact that a company can have a more restrictive policy than what is required by law. And before you say give just one example, think "hair follicle drug testing".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Let’s talk about company policy, and the law.

Remember, we are talking about an event that happened in a personal vehicle, on personal time.

Charge vs Conviction.

You are not required by anyone to plead guilty to a crime. And they can not require, by company policy that you plead guilty. And that’s essentially what you are doing. Although, not in a courtroom. You are innocent until proven guilty. And unless you have been found guilty, or pled guilty. You have not committed a crime. Misdemeanor in this case.

There is nothing to report to your employer unless you have been convicted. And it will not show up on ANY record. With the exception of NCIC.

I had a ticket for 40% over the posted limit. Didn’t report it. It doesn’t exist. WTF would I even report this to my company? BTW, it was bogus. But I still had to fight it. And being honest about a dirty cop wouldn’t have saved my job.

Company policies are put in place to protect companies. Not you.

That said, if you plan to simply pay it. By all means, report it as required by company policy.

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    I am appreciative of your extended explanation, and believe it or not, I agree with most of your theory. All I ever said was to "check company handbook". I am not sure how you appear to believe that I was supportive of making the OP report his charges. I have never said that it is right on any level. There are some very crappy companies out there that just might require reporting of charges, who knows all companies policies? I don't. I guess if you want me to go the extra mile, I would say let his company policy be his guidance. Is that better?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.