I’m going Prime Inc. SLC, any tips?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CaliTrucker82, Mar 5, 2019.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I think the 65 mph max governed speed is Ontario and Quebec only.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redfishcatcher67

redfishcatcher67 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    I stand corrected I've haven't anywhere but Ontario and Quebec where the speed limit is what is. Since fuel is higher by the liter pet the gallon I still would keep my foot out of it because your wasting profit out the stack.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Time saved vs fuel saved.

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I was given a scenario.
    2000 mile trip.
    Run averaging 70 mph. Which has to be 75 to average that.
    You’ll get half the mpg of driving at 62.
    Just to sit at the receiver for 71 hours waiting to deliver?
    That’s just plain stupid!
    I calculated $700 fuel savings at 62.
    That’s $700 earned. Pure profit.

6. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Or you could learn how to schedule correctly and do two 2000 mile loads in that week and then go home.

Plus if you take your time getting there you're burning up your hours for the next week . Unless you're home every week for your 34 the race really is against your log book more than anything. Try taking your sweet time running on recaps staying out for 3-4 weeks . It doesn't work !!

I don't know if you're a company driver or owner operator and what you haul exactly so there are lots of variables obviously

Joetro and TripleSix Thank this.
  7. redfishcatcher67

redfishcatcher67 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    I agree profit is more logical decision to chose by going 58-62. Hammering down the freeway putting yourself at unnecessary stress getting to the shipper on do to poor trip planning, putting more wear and tear on your equipment with unnecessary breakdown repairs, and risk of killing your self and someone else if your or they cause a high speed crash put yourself in criminal or legal problems that can jeopardize you losing your livelihood or going to prison! No freight is worth the risk of losing all I have accomplished.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Profit is a great. Everyone is all for that. Don’t know any one who would turn down more cash in the bank.
    Then you have the safe driving. One of the primary reasons for crashes on the highways is speed differential. Several studies have been done since the 70”s, mostly funded by government agencies. One of the results they all found was a 10 mph speed differential was 23 times more likely to be involved in a collision.

redfishcatcher67 Thanks this.
  9. prosidius

prosidius Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I drove for Prime for 2 years. You can make good money there even running 62. I typically averaged about 3000 miles a week with them.

PS if you want a nice easy run, ask to do the Reed city/Murfreesboro General Mills run. Boring, but drop hook both ends and you'll make great money. Need a lightweight truck though since those loads scale at 46-47k.

Rattlayitdown Thanks this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    They haven’t figured out how time management works.

Had a job delivering structural steel to an oil refinery being built. They worked four 10s, Monday-Thursday.

The pay was obscene. Some guys opted for better fuel economy and some guys hammered down. The thing is, you had to run hard to get 2 loads in a week and get a restart. So, do you load and sandbag for fuel economy and sit on a load for 4 days, or do you hammer down and get two a week and a restart?

It’s interesting to note that the guys who could only manage 1 load a week always complained about the guys that ran 2.

Joetro Thanks this.
  11. Gunny376

Gunny376 Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Alabama
    Apparently $700 gross, 4 to 500 net a week is considered good money?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.