I-85 NB last scale in Georgia EPES driver had a gallon of liquor

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Doing_flatbed_nc, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    I was not cleared for the scale on the highway so I went in and was given the left lane arrow (I was empty anyway). Went in front of the scale house and then on my right is the truck parking area for guys to get inspected or park and go get their overweight tickets.

Sitting in front of a parked EPES truck was an empty half gallon liquor bottle. I wish I would've seen the scene but I imagine the trooper did an inspection and smelled alcohol then searched the truck or searched the sleeper and found the goods and trucked the guy off to jail?

Anyway, who the fark drinks liquor in a semi? Even if you are parked, it's stupid.

Hotels are cheap and plentiful if you have to drink.

EDIT: half gallon.... it's been awhile since I've even been in a liquor store...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    When I drive at nights I usually see one truck every other night that's all over his lane, sometimes in both lanes, making sharp corrections, tail whipping his trailer. I tell myself they are probably just fatigued and plan on pulling over at the next opportunity, but …

Its usually between midnight and 2AM. Must just be the remaining few day drivers still on the road that shouldn't be. Right? :confused:

Lepton1 and Doing_flatbed_nc Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The driver should vehemently deny that the whiskey is his.
    Even when he's fired, he should ask, "So you're going to take the DOT officers word over mine? In that case, you're doing me a favor by firing me!"

bryan21384 and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  5. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    LOL, yeah it's never there fault.

6. Doing_flatbed_nc

Mar 3, 2016
    I usually see this during the day and when I pass, the driver's usually staring at his phone...

TravR1 and bzinger Thank this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Some of them watch movies on their phone while they drive! Also read an article about sleep driving. Apparently you can drive asleep well enough to keep your vehicle on the road. The motorist will not realize they are asleep or that they are driving as poorly as the are. They will feel fatigued, but otherwise think they are awake. According to what I read, anyway.

Its probably a mix of all three. A few of them drink, a few sleep drive, and others are arguing with their spouse via text... or watching Game of Thrones reruns.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive been sober a number of decades. Half a gallon is just getting the evening started with a group. One of the stupidest things I ever did was down a 10 dollar bottle of Beam I think it was with 4 other people. Last one still up at the table wins.

What a mess. That took a month to recover from. Never mind the bodies that needed removal later on.

However.

Half a gallon tells me tolerance has built up in that driver potentially. That would be one very sick driver physically in some ways if not others. It's good they got him out of there. Drying out for him is going to be rough.

My state considers Spearmint to be a form of noxious weed based plant. So you wont find any for sale here. And by the same token you would have to go out of state to get that form of strong drink from that plant and bring it back in. We are in a dry county which isnt that bad. Yet.

But I would not mind a little lightning one more time or a touch of that Carolina Apple jack.

Lepton1 and Bigfish59 Thank this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I counted 4 cars in a row passing me, the driver was texting or talking on their phone. The third car, the lady had both hands on her phone, not holding the steering wheel at all.

Thought about blowing her hairs off with my air horn, but didn't want to freak anyone out and cause them to jerk their steering wheel.

10. Doing_flatbed_nc

Mar 3, 2016
    Is that literal that spearmint is banned in your state? We grow peppermint and spearmint every year. My daughter loves to watch it grow, pick it and eat it off the plant.

I'm of the mind that there's no such thing as an alcoholic. AA is a cult. If you get to a certain point in life and alcohol is causing you that many problems and you can't correct it yourself, you may be an idiot. Otherwise, drink alone or with great friends when you want to get wasted. Drink moderately in social situations. And never drink when operating equipment that might kill someone else (cars, bulldozers, whatever).

91B20H8, Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Could have been the someone's piss jug. I would think that if he was arrested for being drunk or having alcohol in the truck that the bottle would be collected by whoever arrested him.

I know that on more than one occasion i have parked in a spot at a truckstop or rest area and found empty beer cans and bottles right beside my truck. Maybe this guy did the same. We just don't know.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.