I-91 Ramp in Enfield Still Closed After Truck Rollover Monday

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Puppage, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I coined the phrase years ago when I was a trainer. It was a mental picture to help get rid of the Rookie Waggle.

If you have seen the infamous Donner Pass rollover video you can see YDS at work. That driver could have made the curve at the speed he was going except for two fatal mistakes. First, he was in full YDS mode from the moment he passed the trucker with the dash cam, yanking back and forth, creating side forces with his trailer. Second, he hit the brakes at the WORST possible time, as the trailer was rocking to the right he hit his brakes and yanked to the left. Had he simply smoothly turned left he would have made it IMHO.

A tanker amplifies YDS. The liquid surge starts getting a mind of its own. I've pulled a few dozen smooth bore tanks in the last couple of years. It's an eye opener. One bad shift, one yank of the wheel, and that 24 ton gorilla wakes up and is PISSED.

That's why even if he had good speed going into the curve the liquid load would punish him for anything that isn't ultra smooth, including steering. YDS is way too common a problem out here.

windsmith and buddyd157 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.