I am about to give up!

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by harleymanjax, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57104 - Ya Heard!

57104 - Ya Heard! Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Midnight, you have a heck of a way of putting things. (In a good way.) I've been there in other positions, and it's a crappy helpless place to be. You want something so much, but for some reason the stars never seem to line up regardless what your levels are on drive, ambition, motivation, and determination, to name a few.

I think the "roll over little puppy" mentality is something that will be here for a very long time. All the old school'ers that make most of the calls are not going to retire this year. Also anyone that has been in the game for the past 3-5 years that adapt quickly to their surroundings, (to include negative surroundings,) will continue to carry the preverbal baton for decades to come. I may be new to trucking but I'm no ones puppy, There using me on low pay and I'm using them on learning the business...it a mutual relationship....better days will come.

A promise I made to myself many years ago was that I would wake up everyday and be the best person I can be. Not under good situations, or on good days. But under every situation, condition, and day under the sun.

At times when the whole world seems to be full of crap, and you swear that it only deteriorates from there on a daily basis, hold true to what you value most. ...and as Metallica says...."nothing else matters."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. landrystanley

landrystanley Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Derby Vermont
    i know how you feel i got my cdl a year ago all the driving jobs i have looked in to local and otr wont 2 years how do you get that if no one will give you a chanes i am about ready to give up to no one will talke to you if you are from vermont eather all i hear is its a no hire state so i know how you feel

4. ringo43

ringo43 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Hey Harley. What did Stevens Transport tell you? Have you spoke to them?

5. Goody2shoes

Goody2shoes New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Just registered as new user today. I have to get in on this. FYI, truck driving, city bus driving (in Chicago, no less) and electrician apprentice (when I was 18) at a shipbuilding company in Pascagoula, MS are the most real jobs I've ever had. Everything else, secretary (13 years), real estate agent (1 year), a few short sales jobs I've had, didn't mean a thing. The most real jobs are the ones where you work physically hard, you have a lot to complain about, but you just do it--IF YOU CAN, just to prove to yourself that you can do it. Puts hair on your chest, if you know what I mean, and I'm a female. EXCUSSSEE ME, but as hard as I have worked in my life, I have little patience with someone who wants to denigrate the work that a professional truck driver has to do. If you can just get thru it to get the experience under your belt, you have really done something! Newbies need to know that truck driving is no joke. It's rough, it's tough and you can't be a whiner.

6. Goody2shoes

Goody2shoes New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh yes, I do agree that it's a lifestyle. Too many people come to the industry with no idea of this. I know because I knew nothing, nothing about it. I asked my youngest brother who was a driver what he thought about me becoming a truck driver. He told me he thought it would be good and all I needed to learn was to back up. Right! That's all I knew! Took me about 2 years to adjust to the lifestyle and make a big attitude adjustment.

7. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    All those companies and not one would even consider hiring you? That's quite shocking especially considering some of those are refrigerated carriers and then can get produce or orange juice out of Florida.

8. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    Don't give up but you're gonna have to be patient and don't be desperate and just take any driving job offered. Try local companies... maybe even the grocery warehouses based down there could offer you something.

9. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    A guy I fired a couple years ago called and said he was considering getting into trucking. He was an overtalkative braggart who couldn't put a full day's work in two: I told him yeah, you can get your CDL and take life easy if you want to, make a lot of money and be your own boss, travel and see all the sights.

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  10. wayne100

wayne100 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Hickory,NC
    [quote=harleymanjax Have you tried the unemployment office? The driving jobs they list are usually the ones noone wants but what the hell you have nothing to lose.

11. harleymanjax

harleymanjax Rookie Skateboarder

Dec 17, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

yes, that is why Werner let me go

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.