I am curious

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Harper316, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Harper316

Harper316 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2018
    I got a 1998 3406e, my fan bearing seized up on me right before I went to unload some sand. All is well, took my belts but off and I’m going to try and make it back home after someone unloads me, My question is this. What are the minimum voltage requirements to keep the engine running? With no alternator I’m curious as to how far one can go, I’ve looked on every forum and even just regular pickups and cars and I haven’t actually seen a number, only answers on how to fix the problem. I’ve used this forum for a lot of stuff and decided it’s time to join in on the fun. I’ll find out in a couple hours for sure

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Monitor the volt gauge, when the engine quits it's time for a recharge.........

In all seriousness it's pretty low in all reality, if you have the amperage and the batteries are in good shape. I'd be more worried about losing lights first or being able to restart on that old girl.

What's the magic number? Let us know. I bet even if it quits, let it set a bit and the batterys will come up enough to run er sumore.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've seen a newer industrial generator drop down to 8.5ish volts before it finally quit.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Most troubleshooting on Detroit’s say 10 volts as a minimum. But that is while the engine is cranking and there are amps feeding the volts. It won’t be as bad on your older model electric engine, but as the voltage drops your probably going to start loosing performance around 10.5 to 11 volts.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Had a driver make it back shop from Tennessee (almost 300 miles) with an electronic Cat with dead alternator. Keep electrical loads to a minimum and you would be surprised how far you can make it.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t know exact voltage but it’s very little. I’ve ran 3 or 4 hrs without alternator shut down till daybreak and run to Get part. ECM being only power needing supply. Don’t know Minimum. Once had shut down at night due to exact thing gauge had gone into the red zone though.Watch gauge keep accessories off you’ll make it

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Might want to keep a short belt for alternator only on hand. That’s saved me more than once when in a jam

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.