"I am interested in starting a trucking business."

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Jun 22, 2019.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

Also don’t expect for it to be easy like you read on here for some of us, I’m telling you will get mad, frustrated, ready to go postal. Keep you calm and remember the No’s you got when you asked for leave in the military, get use to that word.

Always great the broker kindly, ask them how their day is.

Once you get things going first brokers you will haul for us TQL and Coyote and a few bottom feeders, then work your way up to the hidden gems.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Youre in the right spot. SE to NE offers good rates but you need to know what youre doing up there. Be mindful of northeast tolls, theyll catch you by surprise. $100 to run the ny thruway. Few hundred to get onto long island.. GW is free one way and like a hundred the other. MA/NJ/ME is one big tollbooth. Then theres the $1/mile to get out problem.

If youve got an EZpass it might be a pretty big shock after a few passes up north. And a broker sure isnt looking for someone who actually knows the tolls. "Yeah its a 1 pick 3 drop in toll country but theyre small so it should go pretty quick just tarp and go."

Nope, but thanks for calling.

"Well what would you need to.. "

Nope, but thanks for calling.

Download Tollguru app and route the stuff before you book.

Beware of tarped multidrop loads. The loader doesnt give a #### if the whole load is scrambled and you need to untarp/strap it all to get the first one off. Then reposition, restrap and retarp it all. Thats an extra 3-6 hours of hard work and BS. Two jobs but only one payable invoice. And itll be scorching hot or raining sideways the day you take this turd. Just say no. Id rather sit on the shoulder for a day playing on my phone then run that junk.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  4. Fabulous Maximus

Fabulous Maximus Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2019
    Thank you I’m definitely not expecting it to be easy, and I have much respect for all of you guys who are doing this, y’all are my inspiration and I know you work your ##### of 24/7.

Yeah, thankfully the military experience should with that, I learned to take no in stride and keep my cool in a lot of situations.

Great advice, will do this and I will also have a dedicated business line.

5. Fabulous Maximus

Jun 29, 2019
    Wow, I knew tolls were rough but my experience above DC is pretty limited, Honestly I will probably try to avoid the NE as much as possible for the first year. Even so, I’ll be researching the tolls and getting familiar with that so I’m ready to roll up there ASAP.

I was definitely planning to have an EZ PASS and I will get Tollguru.

Haha yeah, that doesn’t sound pleasant at all. Should I start flat or dry van? I figured van would give me more versatility starting out.

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

Ask millions of questions here. People will help.

Fabulous Maximus Thanks this.
  7. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Ive only done flatbed. I was a jarhead, if things arent difficult i have no interest in them. Hence my screen name.

Van looks like a great way to gain a 60lbs to me. Flatbed is like a stairmaster that you drag around everywhere you go, rain or shine. And like they said in the corps, if it aint rainin, it aint trainin.

Lepton1 and Fabulous Maximus Thank this.
  8. Fabulous Maximus

Jun 29, 2019
    I’m the guy that asks why is the sky blue Seriously though, I will, and so appreciate how willing to help this community is. Honestly gives me a little hope for humanity.

9. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    Further thought, if youre a slob, dont do flat. Put your crappy looking load in a van. Flat is for people who take pride in meticulous details. Strap the whole load and realize you forgot edge protectors on the passenger side, or went over the rub rail. *sigh* what the frig... Arghh.. Get the bar, loosen it all, fix it.

No flappy strappy is my rule. DOT likes flappy strappy. If i have to pullover 5x tocfix things i will. My payment for this dilligence.. I have not spoken to a single trooper in my 6month CDL career. Plenty of days i cross 4 scales. Bypass bypass bypass bypass. Flat needs to look meticulous if you want to keep your check in your account and not theirs.

10. Fabulous Maximus

Jun 29, 2019
    True that, I planned on transitioning to flat at some point but I will probably go that route if you think it won’t be hard for me to find loads. I’m used to working with straps, chains, smaller trailers etcetera, and I’m an OCD ####### when it comes to things like tarping.

Haha I plan on eating lean and green and keeping myself in shape, but you’re right I will probably relish the outside work of the flatbed if I’m being honest. I was an Army FO myself.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Fabulous Maximus

Jun 29, 2019
    Nah man, I’m the opposite of slob haha. Great advice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.