I am thinking about going to cdl. Don't know if I can get hired?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gpickering, May 22, 2024.

1. Gpickering

Gpickering Bobtail Member

May 22, 2024
    Hello all. Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. I am looking for some advice. Please allow me to tell you my story. I am looking at going to cdl school as I am finding myself needing employment. I am worried that I won't be able to get hired though and would like to know if experience drivers have heard of any friends with my similar background who have been gainfully hired. (1)So, I have a valid drivers( non cdl. For regular cars) license . (2) I have one misdemeanor dwi on my record about 3 years ago. (3) I have a misdemeanor assault charge on my record about 3 to 4 years ago. (4) I have epilepsy. It is fully controlled on meds. Keep in mind that I have a legal value drivers license. I got this by going before the transportation board and showing my doctor's approval that it is safe for me to drive. As such they granted me my drivers license. I have never once had any problems or accidents related to epilepsy. I'm thinking and hoping I could get approved for cdl the same way
    (5) I have had accidents such as fender benders, side swipes, and minor stuff like most people. Nothing serious.
    (6) I am looking into a carer change because I was terminated from my previous job. I had a good job and now. Have to find a new avenue

Do you think I could become a truck driver

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    May want to check your epilepsy med aginst the FMCSA list.
    If any of them are on the list chances are you would not be able to get a medical card.
    The rest of the stuff on your list is pretty well up to the carriers insurance company if they will take a chance on you.

Magoo1968 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    If I remember correctly, @Moose1958 has dealt with this and might be able to help.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Thrasher28

Thrasher28 Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2021
    Bowling Green, KY
    Being medicated for epilepsy might pose an issue in obtaining a CDL at all

Number 2 will be the biggest challenge to overcome if you get a CDL. Most companies are between 3 and 7 years if they hire DWI, but some are lifetime.

Number 3 probably won't cause any trouble. I mean, it's not a good look, but it's nothing crazy.

Number 5 won't completely hinder your career, but having accidents, plural, is pretty large factor in considering a driver. A car fender bender could be a fatality in a semi truck. Not trying to patronize, I'm just saying that's how it'll be taken into consideration by employers and insurance companies. If they were a long time ago, probably not a huge deal.

Number 6 is company dependent. Some training companies are big on employment history and some don't care at all what happened before truck driving.

My honest opinion is: invest your time and effort into an apprenticeship in a different field such as electrician work, HVAC, etc., etc. That's a pretty tough list to overcome. Lots of people realize they hate trucking, even when they had an easy time getting into it. It's truly a lifestyle and not just a career. I think you'd be better served investing your time into a safer option rather than going through hurdles just to see if you even actually like trucking.

With your stipulations you listed, you're probably not going to find yourself at UPS or Walmart in the next 3 years reaping the rewards of the trucking success stories. You'll be working for some less than ideal carriers that you could out earn in most any other trade with a normal lifestyle

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Cruise ships are hiring now. I wouldn't even tell them about any problems.
    Travel the world; free food, lodging, paycheck.
    [​IMG]

2Tap Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. Gpickering

May 22, 2024
    Ok so u said go into the other trades. I did consider that. But the problem that is giving. Me a headache is I researched other trades and it looks like they all require licensure. So I'm worried that my dwi and assault will prevent me from getting licensed? What do u think? Is there a trade I could licensed into with my record?

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ask yourself this question, do you think you would like to jeopardize people’s life’s in your condition if you was granted a CDL ? Seriously….. think about it.

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Try this: go to a clinic, and take a DOT physical out of pocket if you can. If that doctor will certify you with epilepsy, that's a check in right column. I think your bigger issues will either be your DWIs or your accidents. If your accidents are not 3 years old, that can hold you back.

11. Gpickering

May 22, 2024
    There is no jeopardy. I am one hundred percent leisure free. I haven't had a leisure in I can't remember how long something like 20 plus years. The meds fully controlled it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.