I am training at CR England Burns Harbor Indiana

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Kevin83165, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Eagle_Eye

Eagle_Eye Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    No didn't go to school there,was hired with year exp.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eagle_Eye

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    Well that's true, Sure aint got any money in them.

4. The Twilight Zone

The Twilight Zone Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Cobb Island,Maryland
    you are very right about a lot of the trainers......I could tell you some of the horror stories.....but i can say this....when a student gets off my truck...i have taught him everything that i was able to teach him in 30 days...plus helped put some money in his pocket( i do all the cooking on the truck and supply all the food and drink)...plus he/she has my number if they have any questions once they get off my truck...if you drive 6000 miles a week that still leaves you around 4 hours per day to help them with pratice backing...practice sliding tandems to change weight...learning about all the paperwork and qualcomm...maintaining a truck so it stays on the road...plus i try my best to explain all the things that help make money on the road that CRE doesn't tell you......I am not saying CRE is for everyone...I am not saying it is the best company...all I am saying is I am doing ok and so far some of the students i have trained are too.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Twilight Zone [​IMG]
    as far as emptying your pockets and going through a metal detector....let me ask this...you went to school there...would you want have of the students that come there come to your house?....you have seen what people go to the school.....CRE is not the best i will say...but it is a job and there are worst ones out there.

Not only would I not want them to come to my house I'm not crazy about having them running down the same highways I'm on while their trainer is in the sleeper

I have to agree with you.....in the beginning I have the loads set up with my DM so I don't have to sleeep while they drive at first until I feel it is ok....sometimes i wish i had a metal detector at the doors of my truck...lol

5. Eagle_Eye

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse

Not to be rude. But more to be Blunt! I have 4 years exp, and have driven in all lower 48 plus Canada. And I have no buisniess teaching a new student. Just what the heck can someone with less than 6 months teach you. Most are still using pry bars to unplug the seat from thier rear when they have to back in a tight blind spot. I Still get real cautios. And do ALOT of GOAL. Maybe I just ainbt a supertrucker yet!

6. RoblyBob

RoblyBob Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Brazoria, TX
    Thanks Kevin for your thread and everyone that commented. I am looking at Stevens Transport's school because it is closer to home. I have read a lot of negative comments about CRE & Stevens. Are these the few that quit after 3 days because it was not the free handout they wanted. I appreciate your positive input Kevin towards requiring some hard work to accomplish your goals. I still have a concern about the reports that the student was told he is not eligible after completing the class and the company coming after them to pay the bill.

7. bones62340

bones62340 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Griggsville, Illinois
    Robly, I attended CRE's school in Burns Harbor, it does require hard work and dedication, both during and after school. You will find that with most bigger companies you are a number and not a person. I developed pneumonia after the first week in Burns Harbor and needed to be sent home to see my doctor. The recruited treated me like a criminal for this. As far as the training there, I was lucky enough to have some of the best instructors they have, they really taught us alot. Just becareful and make your own decisions, with CR you sign a 6 month contract with them minimum.

8. Kevin83165

Kevin83165 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Herrin Illinois
    Hey your welcome for the thread. I am glad that people can look to my insight as I experienced it to make their choice. I know I wished I could have learned a bit more when I was looking to make my decision.

I asked 3 people about the school and got 5 opinions from 6 people that had never been there, :biggrin_25523: :biggrin_2559:

9. plono88

plono88 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Poland
    Hi. I see that many of you have been affiliated with CR England which is why I'm here, to ask some questions. I plan on doing the pay your tuition in full and get the $1,000 reimbursement. I also hear the first session of driver training is $430 a week, then coupled by the next session of $450-600 a week. That seems like a pretty good deal that will cover a lot of the $1,995 remaining.

Throughout life, I've been a grinder and hardworker and just by checking out their website, CR England seems like a company that is looking for quality people to get the job done, earn their cash, and enjoy life but also meet people who share these types of qualities. I was lucky to be good at school and athletics which gave me very close to a free ride at a very good University that had a lot of business connections but ever since graduating a year ago I've taken some time off, volunteered, gone abroad, and came to realize that the suit and tie motto doesn't quite suit me(no pun intended) but rather the "it's better to be free" motto.

I've done some research on CR England and have read both good and bad. I guess my main questions to start out with are as follows:

1) I hear the pay is .26 cents per mile to start, does anyone know what that comes out to weekly?
    2) How hard is it to learn manual shift?
    3) How often does training start at CR England?
    4) I've read that the average trip is 3-4 weeks and 1,400 miles is this correct? If so, how long does one get to be home after the 3-4 weeks? Do you leave your car at Burns Harbor when you go out on the road?
    5) Does CR England follow strict regulations in terms of the 11 cumulative hours in a 14 hour driving period?

10. none

none Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Indianpolis, IN
    It's the old CRE joke, in front of the woman. Make them take the little square tin foil packets from thier pockets. The ones with the protection in them.

11. Mrfasttrack

Mrfasttrack Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Georgia
    Good post. Didnot know about them financing you a truck after you complete a lease..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.