I am trying to start a new kind of dispatching service and would really like your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Fleet_Manager, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I was just giving you insight my friend. There are multiple sides to both sides if that makes sense. This other company I guarantee you charges more fees each week as well as percentage of the gross and builds in profit that way.

Point is there is not enough meat on the bone for everyone to be on easy street and do as they please and everyone still make money.

You have a very limited scope of the entire pie (operation) so you speak. I’m trying to broaden your horizon so you understand both sides more. This will help you in your future journey.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If they’re just grabbing loads off a board and doing what they please then that’s one thing. But anyone with direct freight and/or contracts will need people that they can count on. You can’t be dropping the ball for your customers because someone is fine with grossing $3k for that week.

Lite bug and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  4. Fleet_Manager

Fleet_Manager Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2020
    No, the drivers are paid based on their gross. The new position that I am considering would make me the 1099 employee and the drivers would sign on under the company's authority. I would just "manage" them.

5. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    So drivers running under their own authorities and paying your company for office service based on the percentage of their gross? Got it. I would refuse to work under 1099 and do something else.

Midwest Trucker and PPDCT Thank this.
  6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    This, TBH. If they're trying to 1099 you as dispatch, that smells shady as hell.

Doealex and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s beyond Me, why anyone would want to use a Dispatch Service. Some just need direction, I guess, a program to follow. Every one wants to make money off your Truck. Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians, as it is. Why would I want to put my Livelyhood in someone else’s hands? Might as well Lease onto someone, or better yet, be a Company Driver. Then all my decisions can be made for Me. I could brag about how well I’m “ taken care of “. The less links in the chain the better, always.

Doealex Thanks this.
  8. Fleet_Manager

Jul 15, 2020
    I am trying to be more of an administrative person with knowledge of dispatch if needed. I handle the brokers and paperwork. My drivers just book what loads they choose. I help them when they want an extra set of eyes on the boards if they are having trouble finding a load, but I'm mostly support and someone to take care of the paperwork so they can focus on running how they want.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I mean, it sounds like you've got your mind made up. Do what you do, amigo.

10. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    W-2 employees are more protected by state laws than 1099 employees. If they turn your position to 1099 employee position it’s going to be a lot easier for the company to replace you in the future with someone more willing to coerce their drivers.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I get what you’re doing. In my case it would more of a hassle dealing with another middle man. It’s very easy to look at a board, pick a load, and set it up. Never been easier. I think the service is obsolete. No need for it. And it’s an old idea. Nothing new.

Doealex Thanks this.
  12. Fleet_Manager

Jul 15, 2020
    I understand that you probably have the know-how to do everything yourself. You are right about the setting up loads part, that's the easiest part if you know exactly what you want, which is why I like working with drivers who book their own freight. But I am offering to take care of everything else.. the stuff that takes extra time which my guys would rather spend looking for more loads.. or they just don't want the hassle of dealing with.

I am curious if you do any of the following or if you have someone that helps with it:
    Do you do all your own billing? Do you follow up with brokers to make sure they pay you what you are due (detention/layovers)? Do you deal with rescheduling appointments? Do you fill out set up packets to run with new carriers? Do you sign rate cons and send them back when required? Do you spend money out of pocket on gas and have to wait until brokers pay you to get your money back?

I'm really genuinely curious about how you handle the other stuff and stay on the road. Not saying it can't be done, because it definately can. Just wondering how.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.