I BLEW IT...and ended my career!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Horselovers, Jan 4, 2014.

1. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    It's really good, especially with a little Howe's Anti-Gel sauce!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wwest

wwest Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Harrison, AR
    First of all - "A GPS" - what GPS are you talking about specifically? I own a Garmin dezl 760LMT and it does just fine in city limits.

Second of all - please tell us what calibration settings you're using.

Third - What was the date of your most recent map update and how did you accomplish that?

When computers were first used in public settings, you would walk into the local library and they would tell you that a mistake was made due to "computer error." Eventually, enough people began using computers that it became obvious those so-called computer errors were actually operator errors.

Now we have truckers who are technologically challenged, blaming errors on the GPS which are clearly OPERATOR errors. No GPS is made to operate right out of the box. Here's a tip: READ THE DIRECTIONS.

Fact: When I first got my Garmin, it gave some wacky instructions. That's' because, for example, if you're using a map that was made when a highway was under construction, the GPS is going to think the detour is still in existence and tell you to get off where the detour USED to be.

Update your maps regularly and you'll have no trouble. More than once, I've lost my way in the middle of a large city, missing the proper exit and my Garmin has taken me off on a safe truck-friendly exit, navigated me on obscure low-traffic backstreets and then returned me to a highway entrance that fixed my mistake.

If you have an accident while backing, do you blame the trailer? Of course not. Truckers need to stop blaming the GPS for their unwillingness to master the unit and take responsibility for their arrogance. Respect your GPS and your GPS will respect you.

. . . I just had to say it.

4. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    Of course, no loads ever got delivered before GPS was invented.

Those old timers are still out there, wandering around, lost......

The best tools you can have as a trucker, are the ability to say 'NO' to the dispatcher, the wisdom to stop, and regroup when you need to, the skills to back out of any place you can pull into, and the experience to judge places you better not even think about driving down. You also have to pay 100% attention until you develop the 6th sense that notices those 'no trucks', 'load limit', 12' 0" bridge' signs you will eventually catch more or less by Psychic Mind Pharts when you get enough experience.

Most of us have been some place in a truck we shouldn't have been. Some of us were lucky, didn't get caught, some of us were able to extract ourselves without damage or detection.

I missed a turn yesterday, ended up driving through a small town. I kept straining my eyes looking at various parking lots, other places to turn around in the dark. Nothing looked obvious. Screw it. I drove ten miles to the point I could get back on the interstate. Yeah, it cost FUEL, but it's cheaper than paying for a tow, or damage, or ?????

OPUS 7, davetiow and wore out Thank this.
  5. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    That stuff is minor...there are plenty of companies looking for drivers. Sounds like you need some training on where not to go, turning radius, and calling the customer for exact details when you're not sure. Also, I'd get a computer map program that you can sit and study before moving instead of trusting that #### lying GPS.

6. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Not all gps devices are created equal. If your gps is sending you down bad routes, buy a differnt one. I started with a Garmin. The third time it gave me a bad route I ditched it and got a Rand McNally. I still do sometimes have to ignore and/or override it, but I find it gets me out of trouble way more often than it gets me into any trouble.

7. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I read the title and thought DUI. Your CDL is not in jeopardy from any of that. Shoot, go drive a cement mixer or dump truck around town for a while. It will be ok. We have all made mistakes like that. The key is to learn from them and not repeat them.

DriverToBroker Thanks this.
  8. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    You can get another job. No accidents on record is the key. Just these big Otr outfits won't look at you cause they pull the DAC. Where local and smaller outfits don't care. Just calm down when you make a wrong turn and don't panic and don't force it. If you got to get pull out by a wrecker or get a ticket the company would rather have that then a 5-10k in damages to their truck or other ppl property vs 500-1000 for a tow bill. That tow bill is pocket change for them amount of profit you make for them. Just take your time and protect the equipment.

9. 12yeartrucker

12yeartrucker Bobtail Member

May 28, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Yep, it's every man for themselves out there anymore. Some drivers would rather sit back and enjoy another driver's trials and tribulations rather than offer some help and sound advice. I dont think a driver exists that hasn't made a screw up in some way or another thru out his/her career. If they claim they havent, they are lying.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.