I BLEW IT...and ended my career!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Horselovers, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Trucking isn't like flipping burgers where ANYONE can do it. Trucking isn't for some people. You need a certain skill set, and a decent amount of common sense and patience. It's completely normal to get into situations when you're new, but if you find that you keep repeating them, then this job isn't for you. I also find it amusing you had an excuse for almost every accident you go into. A GPS is a tool to help, not to guide you 100% of the time. I use my GPS literally about 20% of the time, and more as a reference. I use Google maps a lot to see the address, and use street view. A map also comes in handy. If you find someone to give you a chance, hopefully you've learned a thing or two. There are two kinds of accidents when working with trucks and heave equipment, the kind that makes you a better driver and the kind that you repeat.

A GPS is practically worthless when you get within 5-8 miles of the receiver or shipper. A GPS is fine for interstates, but not when you're delivering in the city limits. Accidents happen, but not at that rate.

Skydivedavec and pattyj Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    The line I bolded is pure BS. In fact, I disagree with much of your post.
    Granted, it's true that everyone makes mistakes. But for you saying "I'd be more prone to hire someone that's been there and done that, as opposed to hiring someone that has a spotless record and never been there and done that", totally dishonors those of us that do take precautions, do drive with utmost care, and strive to to be mishap/accident free. Just because I've never dropped trailers on repeated incidents, turned tighter than I know my tractor/trailer will allow, and via thorough checking of my fifth wheel jaws, have never had the listed mishaps does NOT mean it's more likely to happen to me in the future OR that I'm not as "experienced".

wore out, tinytim, DocWatson and 7 others Thank this.
  4. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    KW , YOU KEEP THAT ATTITUDE SIR....rodknocker has his opinion , and is completely entitled to it. But coming from a driver that says he has 23 years in...sounds like sour-grapes to me. I just retired in 2011 with a 3 million + mile accident free career...was I lucky , you bet more than once...But Lepton 1 hit it when he said the ones that are able to reach that pinnacle are usually the ones you see being proactive , NOT re-active . They are the ones that act with patience , and common sense.

5. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Well it sounds to me like you need to learn to just stop and think before you react.
    In each of these cases it seems to me that if you would have just stopped and give it a little thought you would not have tore up your equipment like you did !

The best I can tell from your story you jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire .

I could be wrong but it seems that way to me .

tinytim, rockee and Logan76 Thank this.
  6. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    this is where proper trip planning comes in, you need to know where your going before doing so. Sometimes those GPS units will send you on routes that you shouldnt be even being a trucker specific GPS, my latest example I deliver to a Target in Grenada Hills LA area which I always took the 5 to 405 to 118, when leaving the GPS was always trying to get me to go back a different way to get straight on the 5 but I always took the route I knew for sure. Well last week I decided to check out that other route since it saves 4 miles, looked at Google maps and it looked like it was a nice wide road all the way through so I decided I would try it out, past the 118 exit I normally take and within 1/4 mile I get to a light where it says no trucks allowed straight through so I turned left quickly and decided to try and make my way back around, GPS tried to get me to turn down residential streets first and I kept saying nope and finally found a large street where trucks were allowed and then did the same for the next direction until I finally got back to where I needed to be.

You just have to look ahead of time before you make a turn, GPS has tried to send me on streets where it just looked like one a truck should stay away from and I would not turn there, or some are so tight you will be hitting something. Just plan plan plan!

Those accidents/situation you got yourself in was lack of common sense, not trying to attack you or anything but stopping and thinking goes a long ways

7. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    I have said thousands of times...The stupid GPS is behind more stupidness in the trucking industry than I care to imagine. I have to ask, if the GPS tells you to turn right, and turning right means driving off a cliff, would you do it just cuz the GPS told you to?.
    Nothing beats a good map and COMMON SENSE. A GPS can be a helpful tool, however it is not the holy grail of trucking. You should check out things BEFORE you get into them and cannot get out. As someone posted prior, Google satellite view gives a good but not foolproof picture of a destination. With all the antics going on from the OP, you are lucky there is nobody hurt or worse. Maybe this is not for you. Sorry, I do not sugar coat.

8. BJnobear

BJnobear Heavy Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    OP obviously not one to see the details...

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    He's from TX....they exaggerate a whole bunch down yonder!!!:yes2557:

10. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    First of all...oh nevermind.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Hi awnrier then me,lol.

Skydivedavec and otherhalftw Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.