I can't wait to work for Swift...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HDkindaguy, Jul 28, 2008.

1. dilbert

dilbert Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Newport News, VA
    You're using he said she said they said facts to support your statements. Where'd you come up with the 60K drivers hired per year?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snowman&Fred

Snowman&Fred Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I am curious too. I mean if it is a number based on fact, great. Don't want to say 'nah, you're just wrong', when I don't even know the facts yet. Would think 60k is pretty high though. Cannot tell me that they have 60k+ drivers making it thru schooling (seeing how most drivers that ARE hired by Swift, go thru their school. Others who get outside training wouldn't end up with Swift.) Many times, I hear that after the firs 7 - 10 days, 2/3rds of the class quits or fails the drug screen, etc. So if they are actually hiring 60k drivers...that would mean atleast 120k-180k are going thru their schools.

I ran into a guy at the truck stop today, and he asked about having to pay state sales tax since he lived in Montana. I mentioned i was going to be passing thru there in a week, he asked and i told him i was going to training in Lewiston. He said something about running flatbeds in the midwest is where most of the $$$ is at. Also told me dont ever turn on my CB while on the interstate my first year on the road. ;-)

He agreed with me, saying "do whatever it takes to get your CDL. Once you get it, you put in your year, then move to another company and then start making real money."

4. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Wia only took about 1 week to approve me.
    I just showed them all my bills versus my income.
    I took a couple of tests and then they told me I have the money to pay for school, physical, drug test, permit, class a cdl they paid the whole thing.

5. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    I got a call from w&s while at school in class. Got a call from May a few times while I was at school.
    I had to finally had to tell the recruiter that I would call her back if I choose them.
    Got a call from Davis transport, arrow and forgot who else. I had a pre hires from all of them but went with May because the closest terminal at the time was utah.
    I figuared well I would drive there and if it did not work out I would have my own transportation home. Also was not too thrilled for a 13 hour bus trip It took me a little longer to find my motel but the good this is I had no problem finding the layton yard.
    I threw away the wrong map before leaving home. The only map I had was the one to the terminal and the one from my house to the motel.

I had one printed out from my home to the hotel, then one from May to the motel I threw away the one from may to the motel.

6. Snowman&Fred

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Guess i will be looking into that tomorrow....and i wont stop till I actually talk to a human person.

Last time i called (twice) both times I ended up getting voicemail.

7. Samantha82580

Samantha82580 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    I'm probably treading in thin waters here but here goes.....

My hubby recently returned from Phoenix for the Swift training center, came back with a week off and went to Atlanta for orientation, he has now been with his mentor for 3 weeks. He says he had a blast out there and everyone was nice. He also *noted* that he did have a good group of instructors there, his recruiter was awesome and his mentor is great. With saying that he also mentioned that there was people passing that should have never made it.

Things that really disturb me that I have found doing research and him telling me himself...... first and foremost, I DONT THINK 3 WEEKS TRAINING IS ENOUGH TIME TO KNOW RULES AND REGS MUCH LESS THE FULL UNDERSTANDING OF TRUCK DRIVING especially to have your CDLs in that short time. Everything will be thrown at you.....its up to you to study and know your 7 step and your pre trip inspections. Check out your agenda for those 3-4 weeks.....its all backing, you have very little road training.....that isn't right, when you are driving a truck you hold so many lives in your hand. (and by the way, most times its you, the instructor and 2 -3 others, so you don't get one-on-one) You need to know what you are doing when they throw you out there. When you go out for your 6 weeks with a mentor, you will be *team* driving after 2 weeks!!! TEAM DRIVING.....this means you will be driving under your own supervision while your mentor is asleep. You have really had 2 weeks of *feel* for the road, no one needs to jump this fast in a truck. In my opinion, their training is very dangerous and therefore is why you see many Swift trucks in accidents.

As far as passing, don't worry about it, you will pass....everyone did, even the guy that went down the mountain in 10th gear! They will keep sending you back to the MVD until you complete it. When you come back for orientation, you will go for federal background screening.....a guy that went through training phase, had a incident on MVR that wasnt pulled up prior....THANK GOODNESS, he was able to get it resolved or he would have been *stuck* with the tuition. Im sure they stick a lot of people with that, go through training then find "something" in a background check and they GOTCHA because you already signed the agreement.

I do have to say though, yes they have been great to him SO FAR. His recruitor looked him up the first day to make sure he got there, all of his instructors were wonderful, his classmates were great (they treated me as their family when we would talk on the phone), all of the people throughout the orientation were great and quick to help him and his mentor is wonderful, we really couldnt ask for a better one.

ALSO, REMEMBER, TRUCKING IS NEVER JUST A JOB! EITHER YOU LOVE IT OR HATE IT, EITHER WAY YOU WILL COME OUT FOR A GREATER RESPECT FOR IT AND THE PEOPLE BEHIND THOSE WHEELS. TRUCKING IS ONE OF THOSE JOBS THAT YOU HAVE TO LOVE TO BE ABLE DO IT. *****When you think you know everything there is about truck driving, its time to hang it up or your last trip will be in a pine box*****

Its an easy way to make money and see the country but it's a lonely road out there. I wish you the very best in whatever/whoever you choose to drive for and I will honestly answer any questions that you have.

I can say that I know a decent amount of what goes on behind truck driving because I'm the grand daughter and biological daughter to truckers/ diesel mechanics and the daughter (step daughter) and wifey to truck drivers. (((RIP Boogie Woogie, #1 Ga Moon Shiner and Slow Poke)))

Nuff said
    ~Samantha~
    aka Fred

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Hi Fred , I agree the training isn't adequate but I don't see things changing . As far as learning the regulations goes , every driver is supposed to have a copy of " the little green book " . This is the FMCSA regulations handbook . All carriers are supposed to give it to drivers . There is a page in the front for drivers to sign as a receipt and return to the carrier . For someone planning on being a driver the book is available at most fuel stops or avalable from J.J. Keller online . Buying online assures getting the edition with the latest updates and J.J. Keller will notify you by e-mail when more updates are made .

9. CANGST

CANGST Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Oxnard, CA
    That's true that you do not have enough training after 3 weeks. That is why they send you out with a trainer for another 6 weeks after you get your CDL.

Snowman&Fred Thanks this.
  10. Snowman&Fred

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Agreed. Granted 85% of what you will have learned over the course of your first year, you will have got from your OTR training, NOT in the classroom. You get the basics in the classroom/range, but cant really apply that till you get on the road earning a paycheck (even if that paycheck is a flat rate while in the training seat.

11. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    Three weeks is not enough. One of my hubby's former employers was training me for my CDL, and let me tell you the man was thorough! Once I got my permit, he spent nearly two weeks with me going over how to do paperwork, before he even allowed me to get in the driver's seat! And then he made sure I could drive in the most crowded conditions before he would allow me to try anything else! I had to be able to move that truck around in some of the most cramped quarters imaginable... just on his yard, he'd deliberately set up situations that would make a seasoned vet cringe!

I never finished my CDL, but that's another story... but even today, I can do tricks with that truck that make other's wonder how in Hell I did that!

18wheeldumptrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.