I didn't fall asleep. What's my best course of action?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by anonyscrewed, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Did your eyes feel dry?
    Most people #### up thinking you need to be tired fall asleep or have an accident. You don't.

Cognitive impairment comes in many forms due to lack of sleep or sleep debt.

Dry eyes, swimmy vision, anger issue, attention span problems etc. Don't drive if you're not 100% hell the other day I made em reschedule an appointment because it would have be feeling somekinda way to deliver on time.

When I was new it almost cost a company a tractor. Never felt tired just like my eyes were dry. Then came the micro sleep and I suddenly see myself blasting into a 30mph curve at 70+.....yeah.

"####ed up sleeping schedule is part of trucking" go #### yourself it is. It's the reason we have so many avoidable accidents on the highways.

MOBee, wore out, Rideandrepair and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    There ya go, you answered your own problem. It was the “Side Effect” of the “JAB”…….. sue Dr. Fuchi…….

Don379, w9hunpop and jsnell Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i dunno, i have had the 2 original shots, and about 3 weeks ago, the booster...

and ain't a dang thing wrong with me....

[​IMG]

5. MiFamilyGuy

MiFamilyGuy Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I nearly lost my medical card a few years ago from passing out. It happened at home. I had intense back pain and I'd already called in to work for the next day. I was walking back to the bedroom after getting up to pee during the night and suddenly I'm waking up on the floor. I tried to stand back up and the lights went out again. I woke up from that one to hear my wife on the phone with 911.

4 days in the hospital and a million dollars worth of testing later, the official diagnosis was "syncope resulting from acute pain in the right flank". Hospital doc said it couldn't be a kidney stone because there was no blood in the urine. Family doctor says he personally has passed a stone without blood in the urine. Since then I drink lots of water and stop to pee as often as needed.

On my return to work physical the doc at the clinic wouldn't certify me. After I got him all of the test results plus a note from my family doc he ended up giving me a 3 month card. Then the next few were 12 month cards. Just finally got back to a 2 year card last time around, 4 years later.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. anonyscrewed

anonyscrewed Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Yeah. My eyes weren't dry, but I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility of passing out from exhaustion. I don't think it's likely due to the number of hours of sleep I had gotten that night, and the fact that I spent so many days at a hotel, but considering the fact that my partner is honestly a terrible driver, it's possible that the quality of my sleep was too low for it to count for much, hence sleeping two extra hours before my shift started.

I'm ruling out the possibility of a side effect from the vaccine. Yesterday's event is too far separated from any side effects for it to suggest that it was due to anything related there. Besides, I haven't had any trouble breathing whatsoever. The only thing I suffered was nausea and dizziness followed by the drop in blood pressure that caused my syncope.

All of that together leads me to believe it was an anxiety response, not a symptom of a virus.

It doesn't entirely rule out exhaustion, as I stated above, though I'm not entirely sold that that's what it was.

7. anonyscrewed

Oct 24, 2021
    There's a possibility that dehydration played a part in it. I do try to stay hydrated. I once passed out when I was 17 because I didn't respect staying hydrated, had a job in the heat sitting on my butt for 12 hours a day, and I'm over six feet, so when I stood up, all the blood left my head, and I promptly fell to the ground.

I'll admit I did have a bit of a dry mouth the night before. I had about a pint of water with breakfast, so I didn't suspect that to be the cause, but I did have a dry mouth in the ambulance, so although I don't think that's it, I'm not ruling it out, either.

Heck, it may have been all of these things at once. Stress, bad sleep, dehydration, slightly expired food? All of that together might be enough to send a body into panic mode.

8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Nauseous.. Dizziness...

Heart issues, slow heart rate, heart valve issues not closing all the way allowing blood back flow etc

low blood pressure

Vertigo (yes it will cause you to faint also)

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Anyone coherent enough to write a 5000 word post is certainly capable of driving.

Cowboyrich, PacoTaco, Mototom and 4 others Thank this.
  10. anonyscrewed

Oct 24, 2021
    501 words is nothing :p

So we seem to have come to a point where a while bunch of truckers are doing a Doctor's job. I'm going to go home, talk with my GP, and see if there's any reason I should be worried.

I'm going to continue thinking on my legal dilemma, as there's enough reason for me to believe this was a freak culmination of things that will never happen again, and I feel that saying I fell asleep is just as valid of a route to take as saying it was medical. There's not enough proof at this moment to say which one happened, so I'll get in contact with an attorney to decide what I should do.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I definitely hadn't thought of CO poisoning, and I've certainly taken your suggestions to seriously think about how much of a part hydration and sleep may have played.

Unless something very interesting comes up, this will likely be my last response here.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    just cuz there was no blood in the urine, does not mean there aren't any kidney stones

i have had kidney stones for many years now, i had at one time, 14 in my left kidney alone..after getting them blasted, i had enough material to rebuild my house's stone foundation.

i have passed kidney stones as large as the eraser on a pencil, and no blood..

that doctor needs to go back to McDonald's University...

MOBee, Rideandrepair and MiFamilyGuy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.