I didn't make it, but I want other startups to learn from my mistakes.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Michael H, Feb 2, 2017.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ouch.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I'm always amused by those that think running a trucking business is easy. There's sharks everywhere and that's real money going bye bye.

Oxbow, fordconvert, Crusader66 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I'll just make more!!!

Right?

5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    The worst part was the second tow was a trans let go I put in 95k miles earlier. Not under warranty for the one reason it broke. (My fault) The first tow was for the one and only vehicle accident I have ever had in my life of 45 years. (Again my fault)

I couldn't even fire anyone!!!! I did have to give the driver the weekend off without pay to recover and lick my wounds.

6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    One of the reasons I picked the truck I now have is because it will fit under the hot plant. Stacks are cut low and behind the sleeper and stand 11'6" right now.

I did this even though I pull mostly flatbed now. We already have a belly dump that we picked up for $4500. This means that I can pull just about any trailer. Frame is heavy enough to handle a belly dump off road etc.

Basically it is better than adequate for some uses and overkill for others. I would not even entertain the idea of pulling a 9 axle though.

Oxbow, ShooterK2 and rank Thank this.
  7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Personally, I've never understood the idea behind 30-60-90 days to pay. I don't get those options. If I need a good or service, I better have cash on hand to pay (excepting credit cards, which I only use in emergency situations or when I have cash on hand to make a big purchase and want to bump my credit score a bit).

If I call a plumber, electrician, contractor, or truck for a good or service, they expect to be paid either prior to or immediately upon delivering said good or service. Yet if I werea business with thousands or millions on hand, I can make that same electrician, plumber, contractor, or truck wait until.I finally get around to (maybe) paying them? Whole thing just seems flat out wrong to me.

8. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    I don't know weather to laugh or cry!! That would devastate me too know my spouse doesn't support whatever endeavor I want to pursue!! But maybe you were joking

G13Tomcat and LoJackDatHo Thank this.
  9. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Let us not forget, it takes a DANG GOOD WOMAN to be with a trucker driver and an EVEN BETTER WOMAN to be with an O/O. A bad wife can ruin you faster than a non paying broker..................

Think about it o_O

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    She's just being the voice of reason providing a sober second thought. And they still have the $28.8k!

Oxbow, Crusader66, fordconvert and 4 others Thank this.
  11. Loose Leaf

Loose Leaf Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Do you have to be drunk to become an o/o? or to even give it your best shot.

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.