I don't know why people go to mega for cdl school.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by jim666777, Feb 9, 2023.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It does and doesn't.

There are questions that could indicate attitudes and tendencies. More importantly if an employer notices that people who score 5 and over tend not to stay long, they will hire the less qualified applicant.

It's standardised testing applied to the interview process, it has a place, but is usually misused and often abused.

MSWS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Yes, Manpower as in the terrible staffing agency.
    In my case technically i was self employed and they consider that unemployed, maybe that was part of it.

As gentleroger suggested, i think that there was too much latitude given to the case worker and rules are rules but they can certainly hide behind a test. That's the problem with government pork, you only get your turn at the trough once your skilled enough navigating the bureaucracy. I'm not a frequent flier so playing government games is new to me. I just circumvented them and went around their BS. Maybe their crystal ball told them i would do that, lol.

Now i'm back at working my tail off and making the fat little piggies fat again. Sigh, what i pay in taxes...... ouch.

MSWS and gentleroger Thank this.
  4. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I got my cdl 11 years ago they pell wasnt doing loans for truck schools anymore so unless they started doing it again it's a moot point. I went the community college route and was able to qualify for the Hope grant here in Georgia that paid for most of mine. I was able to keep my job and go to school so it worked out for me. Your pell info is outdated though unless they started doing it again.
    When I got mine 11 years I ago tried to go the pell grant route and was told they don't give it for truck drving schools. Could've changed since then I dunno. I went the community college route and got a grant so I was able too keep my job while going to school. worked out for me.

5. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    READ MY COMMENT AGAIN.... I wasn't talking about JUST trucking schools. I was responding to someone that said that Pell Grants won't cover "VOCATIONAL SCHOOLS". If you noticed, the example I gave was an Avaition Maint Program. I got my CDL in 2002 through Schneider, and have never used a Pell Grant for anything. I finished Aviation training in 2009, after starting in 1996 in High School. Almost half of my class at a VOCATIONAL school was on Pell Grants. I know two people that just completed truck driving school on Pell as well.

6. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    okay so is it more competitive to get into the trucking schools that pay you? i know many people payed like 5k or 6.5k to go to schooling. is these kinds of services given to everyone equal opportunity or are they selective?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  7. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Why are the ltl companies like that? They insist on being purists? Don't they know autos are better for the bottom line?

8. TawcoTruck

TawcoTruck Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2022
    I got my CDL through a local community college. I was told I couldn't get education loans or pell grants for it.

9. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Because a twenty-five year old single screw day cab that's been long paid for is far, far better for the bottom line.

And, the dang thing always starts, so there's that.

RockinChair and gentleroger Thank this.
  10. lost_sole

lost_sole Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2023
    The other biggie that benefits mist is the Safety Department and HR of their company. Invaluable resources for protecting yourself and your career.

11. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Trucks in local service, including LTL, typically don't rack up the miles the way OTR does, so a truck that's several years old will still have some useful life remaining, and they want drivers who can make use of that asset.

MSWS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.