I don't want to start an argument here, but... more screening of new drivers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tracyq144, May 7, 2011.

1. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    There should be more screening of new drivers before putting them behind the wheel of a big truck. Too many idiot previously 4 wheel drivers driving big trucks.

TWICE in just the past 3 days I have seen big trucks heading to a "clover leaf" interchange, well marked, swerve, at the last minute (actually past the "last minute") onto the exit ramp, and NO WAY did they have time to see if anyone was in their path. This is behavior you typically see with 4 wheelers, and they can get away with it most of the time, but with a big truck it is just asking to kill someone.

What it is, IMHO, is that stupid 4 wheeler that just pissed you off by cutting you off, except someone hired them to drive a semi.

I won't mention the company, because it really doesn't make any difference, it could be any company, even someone driving for an O/O.

It's putting people behind the wheel of a big truck that shouldn't even be behind the wheel of a 4 wheeler. And there is a bunch of them out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlackCat

BlackCat Light Load Member

May 25, 2007
    Texas
    Screening? How do you screen for stupid?

Training, and I mean real training, not a class of revenue generators used as slaves to get the most $$ for the company.

bigjoel and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  4. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    Also goes back to the laziness of the upcoming generation and the lack of pride in everything they do. A driver that respects his equipment and takes pride in what he does, does not maneuver his rig in such a manner. This is just one example of many of those who are poorly trained, and flat out don't give a darn.

T-Bone, ExpressDriver, johnday and 6 others Thank this.
  5. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    Agreed, but maybe if all your pre CDL experience is office work or bagging french fries, you might not be the ideal candidate to drive an 80000 lb vehicle. IMHO, stupid is NOT that hard to screen for, 20 minutes of talk should do it (and a visual inspection).

Of course, there would be a lot of trucks sitting if anyone was REALLY serious about safe drivers. It ain't got a whole lot to do with a burnt out marker light, maybe more to do with common sense.

soloflyr, BigJohn54 and Logan76 Thank this.
  6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Maybe a good argument would be healthy !!!!

Wargames Thanks this.
  7. Elendil

Elendil Heavy Load Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Ottawa, IL
    How do you know that the trucks you saw swerving were being driven by new drivers? I not sure how you automatically jump from "truck swerved" to "new driver". Maybe I missed something.:biggrin_2552:

8. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Poor planning = poor maneuvering(in many cases)....Also a lack of situational and spatial awareness...

9. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    the only "screening" done at the schools are:

criminal background (BCI), DMV, High school grad (or GED), credit check (if they apply for financial aid), and maybe a DAC as well.

then of course, they MUST speak or at least UNDERSTAND English..

beyond that, there is no checking for stupidity, common sense, morals, ethics, aptitude, or even personal grooming......

but yes, i too can "see what you are saying", way to many people that cannot control their own personal life, a car, mental stability, or family get behind the wheel of big rigs monthly and think they can drive and handle things as they occur on the road.

hopefully with the new changes that are set to take place this coming July for a CDL permit (see my thread about the FMCSR), will make a difference, but i wouldn't bet too much of the farm on it.

ronin and Wargames Thank this.
  10. walstib

walstib Darkstar

It's up the school instructors to see stupidity and not feel compelled to pass everyone that can squeak by but the fiscal aspect keeps that from happening as schools don't want to give money back to anyone...You also have to think they are only dealing in the basic of basics and stupidity won't always rear it's head in that phase...If they get past that then it's up to the orientation folks and trainers to weed out the 'less than able'...And of course, some will slip thru all those before they prove they're incapable in the long run, pun intended...

ronin Thanks this.
  11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I am quite baffled how you seem to think this is done only by new drivers.

I know of some that have been driving since the early seventies and lose track of where they are and suddenly make changes like this.

Does not make it safe or an excuse, but come on. It is not just newbies.

Prostreet1, ronin, Nita E and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.