I drove 700 miles with the power divider lock in

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by usatrucker01, Jan 2, 2012.

1. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    all todays powerdivider does is lock the two axles togeather, so that they can NOT spin at different speeds. A power divider is just a differential, between the axles. When you lock it it, the axles can no longer turn at different speeds. Corners, bumps, will put more wear and tear on the tires and axles when locked in.

FEELTHEWHEEL Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    You ain't suppose to be hauling arse. As long as you ain't doing burn outs and engaging under throttle, you ain't gonna hurt it. Just like a 4WD, if you had mismatched tires you would mess it up.

Work on your habits. You turn it on, you turn it off. Then you won't be sleeping with the headlights on.

FEELTHEWHEEL Thanks this.
  4. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Just a side note, if he has a dummy axle then to do ALOT of damage he would have to do 2 things.

(1) lock the differential
    (2) turn on the traction control.

5. qtip

qtip Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2012
    calgary, ab
    I've driven with mine locked for a week on purpose, no pavement to be seen, won't hurt anything

6. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    No you never hurt anything. heck, up this way during the winter months some drivers lock in about October and unlock in April.

Diff locks are different. You would notice the truck chattering when turning like a 4 WD in low range.

7. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Prairie, if his truck has the traction control switch like mine does that is exactly what he would be encountering. I had to use it a couple of weeks ago backing into a place that was a mix of mud and bad pavement..

8. Prairie Boy

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    If all he has is the power divider swith, it will split the power between the front and rear. If he also has a rear locker that will guarantee 3 wheels have traction and if he has a front axle locker also then he will have traction similar to a 4 WD in low range with all wheels turning at the same speed which is why it makes it hard to steer espcecially when it;s icy or muddy.

9. Prairie Boy

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    The power divider differential is used to divide the power between the front and rear axle equally. The full locking power divider provides maximum traction and improved ability to drive over slippery and uneven surfaces. Regularly scheduled inspections of the differential help to check the condition of the power divider. The power divider can be replaced with the axle assembly in or out of chassis, and with differential carrier assembled to the axle housing

Read more: How to Replace an Eaton Power Divider | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7918715_replace-eaton-power-divider.html#ixzz1iMnL5faN

10. apyles

apyles Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newbern,Tn
    GEEEZZZZZ Gonna get a whole lot of grief over this.

It's amazing that only about 30% of the drivers so far have any idea how the power divider, and the whole entire rear setup really works. If for some reason the divider was locked in for 700 or so miles, IN interstate miles would not have burned the power divivder up, but if there was a lot of stop and go city,,,,,turning alot with a lot of weight. That would stress a "locked" rear axle. But If you have any experience with diffierent trucks or any machinery. When the divider is locked in,,,,,,, the sound,,,,,,,,,,,feel,,,,,,,,,noise will be a lot different. But most of all if it was coming out of your pocket you would noticed it from the start.

There is a place to run the divider locked, but this at a low speed situation,,,,,,,,,, or a place were there is a "non binding" road surface.

:biggrin_2552:

11. usatrucker01

usatrucker01 Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2011
    pensacola,fl
    well it didn't feel or sound any different at all..but i know it works it has got me out of a few rough drop lots...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.