I drove 700 miles with the power divider lock in

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by usatrucker01, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee

fixed it for ya!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Good point!!

4. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    I will never admit that I drive with my feet, elbos, or knees while driving.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    I was wondering about this as well. It seems my power divider makes both rear axles drive, but it seems they both have open differentials rather than lockers or positraction (learned this backing out of my driveway yesterday in a snowstorm). In this case driving any distance really shouldn't cause any mechanical damage correct? Was driving in some bad snow yesterday in PA up 22 and 422 headed towards erie and just kept it locked in on the snow covered roads.

btw also learned bobtail is total poop for traction in snow. Got much better once I got to my empty trailer and hooked up.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Of course it is, you're basicly driving "Half" a vehicle. Tractors are designed to work WITH trailers as a full unit. You'll find the brakes don't work so good-er in snow when bobtail too, so watch yourself.

Actually I ran with the PDL locked the whole 150 mile run home from NYC once in snow. Ugh. That partucular truck has an alarm on the PDL that sounds like a low air warning. And it took 4 hours! It didn't break the truck, but I was ready to rip that alarm out by the time I hit the yard!

7. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    I will do this one more time and then I give up.

In normal driving, your rear axle is your main drive axle. Both axles are open type unless specifically equipped with a locker (positraction) which is put in the rear axle.

Your Power Divider transfers power to the front tandem so both axles are driven equally for more traction. It does not lock either axle side to side.

The Power Divider is for use in low-traction situations only. It can be engaged while rolling (EG when approaching a slippery hill,etc) as long as your wheels are not spinning or on a curve. Flip your switch and depress clutch briefly; likewise to disengage.

That's it, that's all. Bye now.

Boardhauler Thanks this.
  8. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    A power divider is a way to allow two drive axles to share the same power input equally and coexist in the same vehicle without causing each others destruction in the process.

A power divider could be compared to a marriage of sorts. Lets say a man and a women just cannot be without each other, but at the same time do not get along so well (tandem drives or rear ends) so they search for a way to stay together without all the friction (open marriage) and this allows for cohabitation without destruction because of the introduction of a power divider.

Now when you flip the switch and lock the power divider, the open marriage element is removed.

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    if and when you ever get a bad rear end. let me know which one you get fixed.

cuz the first one i had replaced. was when i got stuck and popped the shaft. that was the front.
    the second one i replaced. was old and losing it's teeth. it was also the front.

next time you get stuck in snow. watch which tire spins before you kick the divider in. cuz i always see the front tires spin.

and i don't see any reason why a rear end would go out with the divider kicked in. it's the same rear end as the front. and if the front can go over 1 million miles. the rear can go forever. cuz it never gets used. it's just a floater till the switch is kicked in.

10. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

cuz i always see the front tires spin.:biggrin_25521:

Thats the front drive axle RIGHT

11. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    if it aint broke dont worry about it until it does!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.