I fear a blown head gasket

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jdb1997, Dec 18, 2020.

1. jdb1997

jdb1997 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2020
    I have 2015 Peterbilt with a Paccar motor. The radiator blew today and I am fearing the worst which is a blown head gasket. Can anybody give me an idea of what the repairs may cost at my Pete dealer including radiator and head gasket repair?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What reasoning do you have that you suspect a head gasket?

4. jdb1997

jdb1997 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2020
    I am probably thinking worst case scenario. I had a farm tractor radiator do the same thing and a blown head gasket caused it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I know nothing of paccar engines but I'd say unless you had prior symptoms of pushing water out the over flow I wouldn't be concerned

spsauerland and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Well if your radiators leaking, you know you at least need a new one. I’d be worried too, since it’s only 5 yrs old. Unless you’re stranded far from home, and have no choice. I’d price radiators at the Dealer, and the aftermarket. Same with Labor. Don’t need to be a Peterbilt Mechanic to put a radiator in. Once it’s fixed, a simple pressure test, (which should be done anyways after installing a new radiator in a perfect world), will show any excessive coolant pressure build up. Go from there. Radiators from the Dealerships are almost twice as expensive than an aftermarket from what I’ve seen. They’re not any better. Just dropping it off, and letting them have at it can be costly. Especially when they start stacking jobs. Add miscellaneous shop fees, environmental fees, clean up fees, Red oval fees. Might be a good time to check the CAC, since it’s coming off anyways. If it’s leaking, the money you save can pay for a new one. Labors free.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I seriously doubt you've got a headgasket problem. A lot of the rads these days are cheap aluminum and plastic pieces of trash. Where's it leaking from?

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I had one blow but not a Paccar. Loaded uphill with my foot in a hurry. Started raining on a clear day ( water droplets on windshield ). Just cheep junk radiator I thank but changed the t stat also. No problems afterwards. Hope that works out for you as well.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Pull the dipstick. If it's milky you have lost a head gasket. EDIT: Or you have a crack in the block. Had a 6.9 Ford Diesel do that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Rideandrepair and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.