I finally started school!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by H-D wrench, Oct 29, 2007.

1. H-D wrench

H-D wrench Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    Hello all
    I have been very busy at last!! After the process of getting a grant thru unempolyment office (squarepeg round hole tests ect.) they let my start
    last monday (Oct 22)
    I am going to all-state carrer in pa for the 4week course.:biggrin_25519:
    DAY 1: hrs are 1pm to 11:30pm (nite driving is why)
    Our instructor is very knowlegable 10yrs+ OTR and very patient.(we have a constant commenter in class).:biggrin_25521:
    All we did was read from the pa cdl manual.:biggrin_2558:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. H-D wrench

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    DAY2:
    pop quiz! 98% on general knowlage.
    next we went over air brakes,combination vehicals, tanks and doubles+triples.
    we took more quizes.
    we took practice tests on computers.
    Im kickin ### on that!!

4. H-D wrench

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    DAY 3:
    We read the HAZMAT part and took practice tests.
    most of us had no problems so far and our instructor did answer alot of questions and share some good stories. It was alittle dry and seemed like long days that could have been shorter but Im sure all will pass the permit test.
    ALSO we got our first recuiter. USA Truck, he talked very loud.
    OFF TO TEST TOMORROW!

5. H-D wrench

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    Thursday: Went to DMV no permit test on thu that location had to go to another location ( Gov health care should be good. Sorry no heart attacks at this location on thursday!!)
    ANYWAAAY,
    PASSED with flying colors!:biggrin_25520:
    although the school didnt put the hazmat fee on the check so ill have to go back, no problem.

NEXT week is 4 days, I guessing we will get alot more info and get out in the yard.
    PLEASE tell me if you dont want to hear it. is ok:biggrin_25518:
    I enjoyed reading others school expieriances, hope there will be more to report this week.

6. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

Congrats on the testing, And keep on posting, it will help others to see what the different schools are doing.

7. bigrig

bigrig Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Rockford, MN
    Keep the posts coming, great to hear people's personal experiences. I am hoping to go to school in about two years. Nice to hear what things I can expect!!

8. H-D wrench

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    DAY 4: hours of service:biggrin_2555:
    Not as confusing as the tax code, but close!!
    11 hour rule+14 hour=ugh
    14hr clock starts when you are working or avalible to work. ON DUTY
    11hrs maximum drive time within that 14 hr period.
    10 hour CONSECUTIVE off duty or sleeper will reset the clock
    you can extend the 14 hr clock by using slpr berth in two breaks but that will take awhile to explain here and the guys or gals with experiance can or have explained it elswhere.
    Remember that all on duty and driving add up on the 70/8 rule
    Your log must be up to date as of your LAST DUTY CHANGE!
    only 34 CONSECUTIVE hours count as a restart
    :biggrin_2554:If your brain is smokin and grindin you understand completely!!!

again any questions should go to experianced drivers here! Dont be afraid to ask they will help you.
    IF I GOT ANY OF THIS WRONG PLEEEEEEEASE TELL ME!! I DO NOT WANT TO STEER ANYONE WRONG!!! thanks

9. TruckingPopeye

TruckingPopeye Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Kentucky
    Great job on your tests. Having been in this industry for a long time (with 8 years driving and 4 recruiting) you have picked a great school. Pay attention and realize that the school is there to get you a CDL. You only become a professional with time and experience.

10. H-D wrench

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    DAY: 5
    Trip planning and defencive driving classes.
    Honestly trip planning didnt go so well. The instructor seemed to be saying that the company you drive for will give you a route to follow so just follow it.:biggrin_25511:
    I had expected to actually plan at least one trip. Maybe we just didnt have time.
    The DDC was informative and we spent the 2nd 1/2 of the day on that.
    This is a crash course just to get a CDL so some things Ill have to learn. Im older and have gone places and read maps figued fuel ect. The young kids that havent gone futher than a concert or whatever might need more help. I dont know?

11. H-D wrench

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    DAY 6
    I DROVE A BIG TRUCK!!!!...................3 feet.
    today we did coupleing and un coupleing ( did i spell that wrong)
    Anyway finally be hind the wheel :biggrin_2559:YEEEEHAAA!
    That clutch has a 9 foot throw. let up easy he says. ok
    Here we go...........Here we go..........#### ...........whoa now it goes!!!
    NO jumps or lurch yah ok
    back under the trailer: ok got this clutch now...back up stop. get out check the height. (TIP: The rear tires are about even with the 5th wheel spot for checking trailer height) It was too high so I lowered the trailer and got back in. Back up ....EASY.....BANG its hooked!!!
    COOL.
    Also we worked on air break check. There are alot of steps when you read it. Dont worry once you get in the truck and practice it makes way more sense and you will start to remember the steps.
    We started pretrip/posttrip inspections too. Again alot of steps but once you do it on the truck it makes more sense than lists and videos.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.