I gather company freight driving, OTR, pays from 40-80K a year.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TomCougar, Sep 20, 2019.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Now that I think about it, it's funny you say that. Because there are trouble tickets I would work where there really is nothing wrong with the employee's technology, they were just kind of complaining... about a problem that I was unable to reproduce. I called them "therapy sessions." Because all I could do was let them cry on my shoulder.

I later used that term with an HR rep that was working with me and she thought it was hilarious and agreed. After a bit of chuckling she politely suggest that is indeed part of my job. Part of my job description is to show up and offer an ear to employees to whine so that they might become more productive after they have complained.

Well, I didn't get into IT to listen to people piss and whine. Therapists make a lot more than I do to listen to that crap.

misterG, MYSTYKRACER and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    I worked operations side for most of my career and avoided help desk like the plague. The infamous "ID10T Error!" plus as a friend of mine who did work help desk once told me, every time the phone rings it's some already frustrated person w/ a problem they can barely describe but they expect you to fix by remote control. Dealing w/ that day in and day out takes a lot of mental stamina!

misterG, FlaSwampRat and TravR1 Thank this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Trucking takes a lot of mental stamina as well. BUT, it's in a way that makes sense and its a lot more tolerable, in my opinion. You are getting work done, getting your trailer closer to where it needs to go. You aren't conducting therapy sessions with people too cheap to hire a professional therapist to talk to them.

I finished a run last week, I had 22 pick ups. 22! I think the average run for my job is about 11 or 12. Two trailers full in 1 week. When I finished the run I slept for almost 24 hours straight thanks to the terminal being backed up and disorganized. That run pays very well and is hard work. But it makes sense to you, you know you are getting work done because you can see it when the warehouse unloads your trailer. It's not just empty work like I described in my last post.

misterG, FlaSwampRat and MYSTYKRACER Thank this.
  5. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    That and I've found in corp IT that you'll often find yourself band-aiding the same problems over-and-over in an endless tail-chasing cycle b/c the company is too cheap or stubborn to spend the money on the real fix. That kind of stuff will turn your life into a living hamster wheel of hell!

misterG and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.