I Got my CDL just to move my family across 4 states - I have questions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DanTheMan2, Sep 14, 2017.

What do you think?

1. You'll be fine, it sounds like you've prepared well. Have fun.

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. You should pay someone else to move you.

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Might I suggest contacting ooida.com

This site is a great resource for truckers and can help you. They provide legal advice and advice on everything you need to know. They also offer truck insurance as well.

driverdriver and DanTheMan2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    The insurances, not sure about not for hire, just thought it would be a good idea. I would do it in your situation.

4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    One thing you are for getting is that most cabs are aluminum and your magnetic signs will not work.

Secondly, you can rent a car to drive back instead of flying.two trips in the rental truck or one in rental truck and one abf trailer.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  5. DanTheMan2

DanTheMan2 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Fantastic post, thank you very much. You bring up some good points.

I did not tell Either that I have no experience, because by the time I actually move, I'll have experience.

Everybody needs to start somewhere...

The reps I am working with from each company do know that my major move is next year, but between now and then, I've suggested that I may rent a couple of time for some one-off hotshot runs or local deliveries. They also know that this activity is a new component of my business.

I will rent from them shortly after I pass my skills test. I'll rent a single axle daycab and a 28 footer my first time out, and book a small local load. Then I may do that again.

Both Penske and Ryder have daily and weekly rates on the rate sheets provided to me by the representatives who setup my accounts.

Penske seems to require you provide to them proof of your own insurance policy with them listed as an additional loss payee.

I have a quote from Progressive that meets Penske's insurance requirements. Progressive's insurance work out to be about $672.23/month, or $22/day. This is for Damage and liability. It costs $6888 upfront to get this rate. There is no pre-term cancellation fee. All unearned premium gets refunded.

Ryder offers damage and liability insurance, by the day or the week. Ryder's insurance costs $72/day, a little less if you do a week at a time...

I'd prefer to pay Ryder's premium in exchange for not going through the hassle of setting up Progressive just to rent from Penske.

Penske charges a credit card, Ryder checks your business credit, and extends a line. I have been credit-approved at Ryder.

I have already discussed driving in a convoy with my wife. She won't do it. She's the boss.

I'll have to read the paperwork carefully to determine if my 11-year old passenger is excluded for age, or the exclusion of passengers entirely. This will flush out during my first rental.

I'm hiring a team of temporary laborers at both ends to help with the loadin/loadout, and Ryder may be able to get a trailer with a liftgate. There are also companies that just rent trailers, and they can get a liftgate. Either Ryder or Penski will rent a tractor, but neither will rent just a trailer. Weird, not sure why...

I'm extremely appreciative of your post and points, as I mentioned and asked for in the OP, "Am I missing anything?", you certainly contributed...

I've always kindof been off the beaten path, and sometime just simply enjoy the challenge involved with accomplishing something most would have considered impossible or impractical.

Yes, the whole thing IS impractical, but I believe it's possible. And somehow it seems worthwhile to me.

TaterWagon#62 and fargonaz Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    WHOA there bucky, you are overthinking this too much and don't get a few really REALLY important things.

You are going around the barn instead of through it.

Now I do this for a living so I know what's going on, you don't.

The absolutely first thing you need to get in your head is this is a commercial vehicle, it is not a moving truck so as one you will need an Federal Operating Authority to operate INTERSTATE.

It doesn't matter what you are hauling at this point, it has to be done.

It doesn't matter who you rent the truck from or even buy it, this has to be done.

Ryder will not provide you with that, nor will anyone else, when they rent trucks, they have to by law rent them to companies that have a federal operating authority if the trucks are used for interstate commerce.

Even if you are hauling your own crap, there will be a cop who will make you park the rig without it and you will end up having your crap towed away because the truck can't be legally operated.

This means the money that you planned on saving will be used up by setting it all up.

AND

YOU can not slap a sign on it "not for hire" and expect it to be alright, you are running illegal because you made this a commercial vehicle by doing all the steps to make it a commercial vehicle - get a truck, get a cdl, get commercial insurance so to act like it is a commercial vehicle.

An authority is costly, and unless you want to become a owner/operator, don't even bother.

AND I will tell you another little secret.

IF you wanted to keep the truck for fun, which some of us do, then you could register it as an RV, the trailer doesn't matter. You would have to modify it to conform with the laws to get it registered but insurance is cheap, and you can pull a 40 foot or 53 foot trailer behind it. and don't have to have a CDL.

So ...

Then let's be a bit more realistic about this, ditch this idea, get a rental as Chinatown said, drive out there with it, tow the car behind the truck and then fly back. Rent another truck, tow another vehicle and enjoy less work you did.

That's a VERY good plan.

If I was you, I would tell my wife she needs to get her and the kids on a plane and fly to your new home to meet you there so in between they can start setting up the house while you are going back for the second load.

I wouldn't even consider anything else.

You can do this for under $4k if you take the time but as a former IT guy, I see many IT guys who just go through all of this planning and making it complicated when it is not.

7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I think this guy is on top of the research. He has thought of way more than most and come here for advice. I don't know if they will or won't rent a truck without authority. That is worth looking into. If they will I would think fuel and trip permits would be the way to go.

CrappieJunkie and DanTheMan2 Thank this.
  8. DanTheMan2

Sep 13, 2017
    Good points.

In light of that, I'll need to clearly NOT "do a couple of loads:, and keep the money out of it.

That would make me a private carrier not subject to needing an Authority: Get Authority to Operate (MC Number)

Regarding needing a DOT number:

1. Illinois does not require a DOT number
    2. Click "Do I Need a DOT Number" and answer "No" to the next 2 questions: Do I Need a USDOT Number?

So to recap:
    1. Don't do anything for money - no commerce
    2. Find out if rental company will rent out to a Private carrier, or someone with no Authority
    3. If the rental company provides the insurance, it's not me who is getting a commercial insurance policy.

Could you clarify, though, the part about not needing a CDL for a modified Tractor-turned RV pulling a 53-foot trailer? This would be a combination vehicle, and might weigh over 15 tons. In some states it seems you would need a CDL, other states are different. Seems like a GVW thing... See Our 2017 Big Guide to RV Driver License Requirements - Never Idle Journal

I appreciate your input, and I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, so I'll let you know if the rental company will rent to a Private carrier with no Authority.

9. DanTheMan2

Sep 13, 2017
    What do you mean by "fuel and trip permits"?

10. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    As someone who's moved house in a tractor trailer intended for general freight (not a moving trailer), let me assure you that the loading/securing/unloading aspect SUCKS. The securing especially is time consuming...you cannot have enough moving blankets/padding. And we only moved from Long Island NY to northern VA. If there is any way possible to get a liftgate trailer, do so.

Now, the proposal to make multiple trips with a rented box truck and fly back, in my biased and subjective opinion, the way to go. You could easily bring your child with you for that adventure as well.

11. DanTheMan2

Sep 13, 2017
    Again, good point.

When I used every bit of ABF -UPack's 28footer during my move from Virginia to Chicago in 2010, I used a crapload of ratchet tiedowns and built slices and layers that were securely fastened as I loaded the trailer.

As you know, those trailers get shuffled around a bit, and probably drop and hooked a few times till they reach their destination, which was a yard for storage for 30 days, THEN it was finally brought to the house.

I have to admit, nothing was broken or shifted significantly. It took 3 days to pack by myself, but this time I'm hiring some labor.

It came with a ramp, and I already had a handtruck, but it was still work, so the liftgate would be nice, but if I don't get the liftgate, I'll have a crew of 4, 2 on the ground, 2 in the truck, and we'll just bust it out...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.