I Got my CDL just to move my family across 4 states - I have questions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DanTheMan2, Sep 14, 2017.

What do you think?

1. You'll be fine, it sounds like you've prepared well. Have fun.

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. You should pay someone else to move you.

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. DanTheMan2

DanTheMan2 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I'm not sure what I'm missing, but if I rent a 26 foot straight truck for personal use, I don't need to do anything but bring my driver's license. They provide insurance and registration.

Now I want to rent a larger truck, for personal use. One that requires a different license. The rental company provides the same stuff for the 53 foot as the 26 foot truck: plates/registration (Ista, Apportioned, MC#) and insurance. I pay them. Off I go.

I'll call OOIDA and ask their advice of the situation and let y'all know the verdict.... It will be my second call to them today. they really are quite helpful.

I really do appreciate all of the input and viewpoints. That was the whole point. To stimulate a deeper conversation...

x1Heavy and driverdriver Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Some folks take these two clauses to read that you can lease a CMV for up to 30 days and run under the lessor's authority. To me it reads just the opposite; you need your own authority to lease and run under another's DOT number on the door. But, what do I know I could be wrong, but in trucking your more likely to get wrong information from someone else.

Good luck to the OP, but we get a couple people a year with a plan like yours and I haven't yet heard of anyone see it through. Obviously, it is cheaper and easier to run two U-hauls with two drivers.

Let us know if you succeed. However, I suspect when some of the details to your plan become obvious to those renting and insuring, some one will put the stop to it. We hear every day about some prospective 0/0 that runs into trouble insuring or leasing. With no experience or schooling, I would sure like to know how far you get.

And the DOT cop that hears about it won't know what to do.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That's because the government has said the larger trucks are commercial vehicles. Go look at the history of trucking, or well, anything. Humans love to, to be nice, skirt the rules. Way too many unscrupulous people will try and say that the load they are moving is just personal, even when it obviously isn't.
    So they came up with a number, in this case 10,001 lbs for a trailer, and 26,001 lbs for the whole unit. Anything over either of those numbers are commercial, with rv's being a specific exception.

Should you be able to drive without those restrictions? I would argue no. History has shown us what it was like before CDL's and even HOS, and luckily we have those in place to keep pill popping people from driving for 48 hours straight and having a heart attack behind the wheel and killing others.,
    (And before someone complains, I'm talking aggregate. It still happens, but no where near as bad as it used to be)

DanTheMan2 Thanks this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I don't think you are going to be talked out of this, so good luck.
    For you hired help, contact a local moving company. They have guys that know how to load everything very tight so little shifting will occur. You could probably rent a walkboard (ramp) from the moving company and maybe some 4 wheel dollies too.

TPS Report and DanTheMan2 Thank this.
  6. Old mark

Old mark Light Load Member

May 22, 2016
    Good luck on your move which ever way you decide to go. Check with your home owners insurance before hiring helpers. A back injury or falling out of trailer can be bankrupting expensive for you.

DanTheMan2 Thanks this.
  7. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Why not just hire a expierenced driver to make
    The trip. Then fly him back home.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Having a driver isn't the issue.
    Starting a trucking company for a single trip is....

nax and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I talked to my contact over at Ryder and he said this "no ****ing way would we rent or lease to anyone using it as a moving van".

He said anyone to rent it out without the proper setup will be fired if the company finds out.

x1Heavy and ZVar Thank this.
  10. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    This is a crazy thought no matter how you slice it. ####ing joy ride to move all for the experience. Hire a #### owner op that will let you ride with them.

DanTheMan2 Thanks this.
  11. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    My thoughts precisely.
    Even though Denver is not the easiest place to find decent freight out of, if you offered an O/O w his own authority 3+ grand, got him a room while you and your crew loaded his van, I might bet he would let you and your boy ride along and maybe even get some wheel time, if what your wanting is the experience combined with cost effectiveness.
    In the good old days your plan may well have been a realistic option but in our litigious society I think it's a gamble.
    You could do it but definitely a gamble.

DanTheMan2 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.