I Guess I'm Done Driving?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by CondoCruiser, Nov 4, 2010.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Maybe the doctor is speculating. I told him I found some relief bending over on a shopping cart and when I sat down. He told me that was typical of spinal stenosis. Most truck drivers bend over, lol. I only hurt when I walk or carry something. Too much and it feels like someone is sticking a knife in my lower back. I pretty much learned to live with it. I sit, the pain goes away in about a minute or two. I have done alot of heavy lifting in my younger years. More than most. I fell off a ladder once on my back. As a kid, I remember three falls on my neck and seeing stars. I've been lucky. My sister is diagnosed with degenerative bone disease and has severe back pain. That's a VA diagnoses.

The pain started about the time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I also had carpul tunnel syndrome. What I thought is maybe the hypothyroidism was messing with my nerves since carpul tunnel is a known symptom. About 3 years into taking levothyroxin the carpul tunnel went away convincing me I didn't have a back problem and hopefully the back pain was to go away. The doctor also suggested the diabetes is causing the pain, but I had the pain way before. Now that he saw the Xray's, he's thinking different. The MRI should get to the root of the problem.

My take on the whole situation is my sleep apnea caused the hypothyroidism and diabetes. At least that's what I read on the DOT medical examiners website, that they are connected. The back problem may or may not be related.

I'm determined to get fixed. I can't deal with the CPAP and I'm pushing for surgery. Then I can rehabilatate and hopefully beat all this. The past month my diet has done a 180. I lost 10 lbs so far this month, 60 more to go.

I appreciate this thread and everyones input. I learned more here than all the medical websites I read. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mastertech

Mastertech Staff Leader / Admin Staff Member Administrator

Dec 28, 2007
    3rd Rock From The Sun.
    Good grief CC, sounds like you are falling apart. :biggrin_25521:

4. krash13ss

krash13ss Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2008
    shady point ok.
    I dont take it every day.Only take it when my bg goes over 180.I keep a candy bar handy as it can drop my bg 40 to 6o points.I tend to self regulate as I dont have insurance and pay cash for my dr visits.I usually get 5 or 6 months of pills at a time.
    I have to go in tommorow and change my neuropathy medicine as they decided it hurts the heart.I took avandia for several years before, that also hurt the heart.
    Think they could figure this stuff out before they put it on the market.

s

i

5. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    If the Glipizide drops your BG levels that much you should cut the dose in half. However dropping from 180 to 120 is a good thing. Despite what the DOT says normal range is still 80-120.

Personally I'd discuss with your doctor about increasing the Metformin to 1500. You shouldn't be spiking to 180+ if you are dieting right too..

6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

A doc told me many years ago sunlight through a windshield effects the eyes more than the avg person who is not behind the glass all the time.

Was told the same thing , as well as the lights at night as we do more night driving than the avg person also has an affect on our eyesight.

7. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Condo
    Woooo hooo on the weight loss and remember - ''slow and steady wins the race'' 1-2lb a week is a healthy weight loss. It took time to put the weight on and it will take time to take it off. keep up the excellent work!!

Wolf- normal BG ranges: 70-110 normal 111-125 PRE diabetic (* you better do something now or you WILL have diabetes) >125 diabetic. There is no such thing as a '' little diabetes'' either. That's like saying, '' I'm a little pregnant'' aint happening. And yes even on Metformin and Glipizide you have highs and lows. Not what you want but the medication and diet are not ALWAYS going to give you steady control. Also PP BG check (post prandial) or 2 hours after eating should be <150

They have dropped all the standards/ranges now to encourge earlier detection and treatment-same goes for BP readings, weight/BMI etc. Really it is NEVER to late to start to take care of yourself!!!!

8. celticwolf

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    You are preaching to the choir. I *AM* a Type II Diabetic. and I am not sure who told you "Normal" BG levels are 70-110, but they are wrong. ANYTHING below 80 is Hypoglycemic. Check the AACE and ADA guidelines. Even when the ADA tightened the span they didn't drop below 80.

Your Serum BG levels should be below 125 two hours after eating. Again check the AACE and ADA guidelines.

9. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Preprandial plasma glucose (before a meal)
    70-130 mg/dl (5.0-7.2 mmol/l)

Postprandial plasma glucose (after a meal)
    <180 mg/dl (<10.0 mmol/l)

HgA1C
    <7.0&#37;

Per the American Diabetes Website
    I am an RN

10. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    CCruiser.... I don't know how in the heck I missed this thread when you started it. I feel real bad for ya bro. So sorry to read of all that stuff you're dealing with. I won't be much help to you as I know very very little about diabetes and sleep apnea.

What I can do is to try and keep you motivated. Keep your mind and body busy and
    NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

NEVER!!

11. celticwolf

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ADA[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif](mg/dl)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AACE[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif](mg/dl)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]CDA[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif](mmol/L)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Fasting Glucose[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]70-130[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]< 110[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 – 7[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](4 - 6 if safe is no longer a general guideline)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 hr after eating[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]< 180 as peak blood sugar after eating regardless of time[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]< 140[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]5 – 10[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](5-8 if unable to achieve A1c < 7% and not at risk for hypoglycemia)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]A1c [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif](glycosylated hemoglobin)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]< 7%[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](< 6% if safe)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]< 6.5%[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](< 0.065)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]<7% (< 0.070)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](<6.5% if need to lower risk nephropathy and weighed against risk for hypoglycemia)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ADA = American Diabetes Association[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AACE = American Assoc. Clinical Endocrinologists[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]CDA = Canadian Diabetes Association [/FONT]

No offense to you, but I prefer to listen to mine and other Endocrinologist (AACE). My own body tells me < 80 is too low and > 140 is too high.

I was a Paramedic, so I guess we will agree to disagree.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.