I guess this as good a place as any to start.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by FlaSwampRat, Jun 1, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    First off let me thank y'all for a a lot of information on here about things I never thought about and second I think some of you got into the wrong business....you should be doing stand up or writing books, never fails that I can get a good laugh out of the comments on here. Okay about me now. I drove for UPS for 15 years (package) and made enough money to move back to Florida like I had always wanted and work in a race car fab shop like I had always wanted to do. After about a year of this I really miss driving and want to try otr for a few years to learn another side of the trucking industry. I have a current med card hut no CDL and I didn't know if I should go to a school or just jump on with a mega carrier to get training and a job (expectations are low so I'm realistic there)? I'm not picky with who I would start with because I'm guessing that pretty much any entry level job is gonna have crap pay, crap home time, crap trucks, and won't give a #### about driving a package car 15 years accident free. I'm kind of hoping it can be a get out of it what you put in situation after some time. I had to be the low man on the seniority list and drive crap routes in crap trucks with no power steering that couldn't do more than 30mph up 202 for years so I understand it ain't gonna be all roses and rainbow unicorn farts in the beginning. I'm in Brandon FL (Tampa area) if anyone might have any direction they can point me in.

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    Have you looked into what kind of programs a local community college might have for getting your CDL ? Some of these can help you get a Grant or other assistance.
    It's definitely worth the effort on your part not to get trapped by the Mega's. That route offers a lot of pain.
    Look into the tanker companies that haul the juice out of the groves just East of you. I don't know if they will take rookies right now but the situation changes all the time so it's definitely worth checking out. Lots of info on those in here. If they don't have any interest, click " reply " on my post right here and I will offer you a different possibility. I suggest the tanker route first though. Better deal all the way around. Good luck. Welcome to the site.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    If you can afford it, pay for the school on your own. There are companies better than those megas who will then take you. Some of them have tuition reimbursement, as well as a significantly better starting pay than the megas are likely to have. And youll get better OJT to boot. So if you have the money, youll be money ahead to pay for the school yourself.

FlaSwampRat and MagnumaMoose Thank this.
  5. MagnumaMoose

Jan 18, 2018
    Truth.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. MagnumaMoose

Jan 18, 2018
    Edit. Irrelevant now.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Was your cdl from Florida or the state you moved from?
    If your cdl is from Florida; probably go to the DMV and show your DOT Medical card and they may reinstate your cdl.
    Do you want to run coast to coast?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  8. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I don't have one yet. There are a few schools around me that offer them. Pinellas county does one, there's Tampa truck driving school, and there is one in Lakeland that I can't remember the name of at the moment. There may be more that I'm not aware of tho. Looking at these schools they seem to be driver Mills for the mega carriers and full of the dregs of Tampa that have no others skills or are unhireable anywhere else. Now I have no proof of that and no experience with these schools other than checking them out and I'm sure there are some great people that used them the impression I got was kinda rough. I'm gonna call a few of the juice and fruit haulers out in Plant City like @MagnumaMoose suggested being as how that is like 15mns away from me. I'm as super open to any and all suggestions still because I know nothing about any of this. You guys are quick with the helpful posts...thanks! @MrEd I can pay for schooling up front, I just didn't know if it was easier to eat it for a year with a mega to get my foot in the door.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2019
    Reason for edit: skirting the profanity filter
    MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  9. MagnumaMoose

Jan 18, 2018
    Package Car means those Straight Trucks doesn't it ? Those don't require a CDL I believe. I'm not positive though. But I think that those have hydraulic brakes and are under the weight and size limits to require a 'B' CDL.

Chinatown and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    You don’t necessarily have to start out making mega/rookie money. Did you have a Class B for the package work? I was a bus driver for 20 years, with a Class B CDL, and took a CDL bridge/upgrade course from the community college for $475. Four weekends.

I got a job with a mid-sized company (350 trucks) and I’ve been taking home $800-1200/week for four months now. The only rookie part is that I’ve been driving 5-year-old tractors and have had a laughable number of mechanical issues. But my current truck seems solid (fingers crossed), and I expect to get upgraded by the end of the summer.

ps- my company reimbursed me for the class, and does the same for a full CDL course.

MagnumaMoose and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Yea, I was your typical ups guy. I had air brakes but was only tagged at 24,000lbs so I didn't need a CDL, just the med card for being over 20k. I guess on the upside I am used to pre tripping with air brakes so at least that won't be new to me.

Chinatown and MagnumaMoose Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.