I had a construction business and have 70K to spend on a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by AFLogistics, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yep I know but osha for me is a cakewalk, fmcsa can be a nightmare. The other business was all about safety in a very unsafe environment, nothing like construction or trucking. The op is making it out as horrible, when it isn’t.

ready2truck Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AFLogistics

AFLogistics Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2021
    You obviously didn't read the thread so I'll bring you up to speed. Read2truck but not ready2read. I have an authority. So what makes you believe I don't know anything about the industry. I haul already. We move freight already. Ready2knowaboutFMCSA.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    U guys think fmcsa and osha is bad, just wait til you meet msha!

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    With no experience in mines, I wonder if it's as bad or worse than loading fuel.. Some of the stuff the Marathon racks I've been told about is fun...

6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I deal with msha just as a truck driver and they are the biggest pricks known to man. Dont look at them wrong or breathe within 5 ft of them or u will be written up

God prefers Diesels and ZVar Thank this.
  7. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I don’t care what anyone has built. You didn’t build it by dragging that concrete, lumber, supplies, excavators, cranes, or what ever else you needed to build it with by your own hands or on your back.

A truck delivered it. Simple.

You think construction is bad and trucking easy?

I don’t see a federal agency telling you what you can and can’t do 24/7, fining you if you operated over your time by a minute.

Motorists cutting you off on the roads because they don’t know how to merge into traffic.

or better yet get sued into oblivion because someone ran into you and somehow their attorney found a discrepancy in your logbook and you ended up having to take the blame.

Majority of mechanics over charging you for work that didn’t fix the issue.

in trucking everyone’s out to shaft you and I do mean everyone.

Try dealing with snot nosed kids daily who think your an idiot and talk to you like you are.

201 Thanks this.
  8. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    If you have $70K to blow on a truck put it in growth stock mutual funds and go to work as a company driver. 3 years from now you will double your money and won’t have a piece of $&@“ truck to worry about.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I want to apologize to all our construction friends for that post, I should take it down, but too late. Let me just say, I've delivered to many construction sites, even worked with my buddies on some projects, and the workers were generally pixxed off( or hung over) and wouldn't help you if you were dying. Not so with truck drivers, but we have to get along. Without trucks, construction stops, and without construction, trucks stop. The construction trade encompasses a huge amount of freight that's hauled today. It's the same old thing, one generally doesn't know what the other has to deal with, so keep bangin' da' tumbs wit' da' hammers, America needs you as much as it needs us. They are building profusely in my little Colorado town, it employs dozens, and I don't think a one actually lives here. They can't erect these side by side pre-fab condos( at $250K a crack) fast enough. Clearly, it's the business to be in these days, with job security well into the future. Why someone would want to get out of that, and into a struggling business like trucking today, doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Peace, all.

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  10. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    was just going to say this,

got “suggested” to “fix” my back up alarm hauling material into the pit, told the inspector he must be mistaken because 1. It’s not (customer)’s truck, and two, I don’t have a back alarm, his jaw dropped like I said something bad about his mother or his first born and wanted to know how I could own a truck without one, well simple there’s no federal law saying I need one of those piece of #### things on my truck. he then goes on to tell me how anything past the road is HIS rules and I need to install one immediately, so I did, and I made sure to stop on the road in to plug/unplug it in his view for the remainder of the day.

11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Power trippers are beyond annoying.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.