I hate to bug you guys...

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Mattflat362, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You’ve got at least $600-$750 in parts alone. Along with a good 6 hrs labor including the pinion seal, and brake lines. That’s $1250 -$1400 alone. Add BS shop fees, if any, plus tax. That’s the reality of it. I’d be angry too. I’d be angry at myself, for letting them spend 5 hrs looking for a short. That’s crazy, but they’ll get you every time, if you aren’t upfront about prices.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The electrical would burn my ### too. A simple circuit on an older truck like that should basically be a peach and cake to figure out.

4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    In my mind knocking $650 off the bill is telling.

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s my term I guess. Stacking repairs, giving them a list of repairs that go on one bill. So a pinion seals bad, which I’ve had happen twice. Ask how much? They say 1 hr labor, maybe 2 $50 parts. If that goes well, Then I’ll mention I planned on doing my brakes, along with the seals. How much would you charge, since I’m already here. Same with an electrical problem, You think you can find it, I don’t want my wiring butchered up, you got a good electrical guy? Have to keep a grip on the charges. If they’re estimates too high, they don’t get the job. I don’t expect anyone to work for free. But I’m not going to give them a blank check either.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    When I had to quote jobs, I'd always quote a little on the high side. My logic being the customer is always happy when the bill is smaller than anticipated. They tend to get upset when the bill is more.

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I get my Truck fixed at very good prices. I shop prices for parts and Labor if needed. Most of it is done by Me. The few things I pay for aren’t much. I don’t let them rip Me off. My maintenance is good, and the cost is low. I try to plan ahead, often buying parts, and waiting to put them on. I hate to see anyone get ripped off on anything. That’s my pet peeve. In this case, I’m not surprised a bit. Shop work is expensive.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Needing a schematic for simple electrical diagnostics is bull ####. It's pretty #### simple. Tail lights are tied to the dash lights on a Pete. So start at the front and check it at each connector down the line. On a truck that age a new wire ran may be best I haven't seen the harness. Basically the OP paid for the shop to train a guy.....not his place.

250 for a leveling valve is pricey but I'm not from his area makes a difference.

Knocking the bill down automatically says the shop knew they were outta line.

Keep in mind I'm usually on the shops side in these deals

9. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Live and learn, don' t wait for them to call you. If you have no issues with the repairs thats a plus, You can get the same repair done 5 diferent places and get 5 different Rates.

10. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I appreciate all this conversation.

I have said this before and I'll say it again! If I was ever to start over I would buy a shop and a building before ever even looking at a truck and running loads! Have a tech making money and my truck goes in as needed.

I respect everything involved in this guy owning a big next to the highway do it all shop....I really do....but man I agree I can't pay for him to train a kid on how to track a simple broken wire on a old mechanical Pete! That is the one part of the bill that sent it over the top and made me lose it. I have done it myself MANY times and it never bothered me to pay someone the times that I could not.... until this time.

LOLOL this all started because I went in to get one steer wheel balanced and I took the, "well, while I am in here", approach. It is tempting because, well, I just want to roll! But never ever again.....until I forget this lesson and do it again. LOL.

I am so friggin preventative that it hurts my brain. If I am awake I am working....either running the truck, answering the phone/doing back office work, or thinking about what the truck needs or will need.

I am not sure I could ever recommend someone becoming a US carrier/owner/operator....and if I did I would scream buy a building with a big ### door and a concrete floor first!

loudtom and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    My dad has owned an auto mechanic shop for 25 years in a small town. I worked there for probably 10 years or so. We lost money all the time on jobs that took longer to do than we charged for. We called it “getting experience.” A mechanic can’t realistically plan on getting paid for every hour he works on something, at least in a small town. We would have had cars all over the lot the owners couldn’t afford to pay for if we always would have.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.