I HATE Training. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DizzleDriver, Aug 23, 2019.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Oh yes. Once you go solo you will learn alot more because it's only you.

You are almost there, just hang in for two more weeks.

Lepton1, Linte_Loco, rachi and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. packersfanmw87

packersfanmw87 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Sounds like an awful company if you can't get out of a lease trainers truck.

4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I think it honestly sounds like 90% of CDL mill to otr company training programs. I feel bad for the guy but we have all heard this story a million times on here.

5. DizzleDriver

DizzleDriver Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2019
    The training is supposed to be 6 weeks. I got placed with a super trucker who is a lease operator on a dedicated account. We pickup a load and have another load waiting before we drop the first one off. I don’t mind the pace, I just wish I understood what is going on.

I pulled off to check brakes in the area you are describing. He told me to keep going he knows his breaks are good. This alarmed me because I don’t know his breaks are good and also if I’m not checking my breaks properly, this would be the time to correct it.

I do want to do things the correct and safe way and I want to learn as much as I can while I’m with my trainer so I’ll be prepared with the basics when I’m solo.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well, there is one other thing. When you are driving that T/T you are the captain of the ship. If you are not satisfied or had questions about the condition of you rig, you want to stop and take a look. Or have a mechanic take a look. If your trainer is preventing you from doing this then one day you will have a habit of not stopping on say Cabbage and off you go with a defect in your braking that causes the whole thing to runaway. Thinking I don't have to stop for anything thanks your trainer for that.

Another part of training I do not like these days is when trainer is in bunk and leaves you to do 500 miles as fast as you can go. That is not training. That is muling you for more income on his part.

Maybe I am taught differently but there is training and then there is not teaching you anything and that is a disservice to us all.

Being dedicated where your next load is waiting is a nice thing to have in trucking. More common you will be in a grocery food warehouse waiting hours for a dock and then hand unload the thing for more hours. You probably will not be rested in sleeper before you go pickup your next load right away when empty. That's why we have ELD, part of it anyway.

You seem to be pretty good in your horse sense, try to make the best of your 6 weeks. Just remember you have a life time running a truck right because you were trained right or running a truck wrong until you are either retrained, prosecuted or fined etc for the mistakes or errors you made.

Your first year is the most dangerous time in trucking. There is so much you don't yet get into. Many are eliminated from the industry within that time.

Ive said enough, I would love for you to have a good trainer and take the time to formally go through everything about trucking when the problems come up to resolve them knowing what you are doing. Rather than aww.., the brakes are good roll on. Thats not training. That's greed me thinks.

DizzleDriver and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    This is exactly my argument for dock to driver programs. Learn on the actual job you will be doing, not some fleece drivers dedicated run. You learn from someone who is getting paid by the hour and has no incentive to rush you thru it, you are getting trained by someone who isn't getting paid more because you are there in the truck with them. The companies that dock to driver usually have old hands training instead of a fleece driver that has only had a CDL for 6 months.

8. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Just to put it in perspective. When I first got my CDL I was trained by a guy that had 29 years in and was just training for his last year until his pension was maxed out. That dude has forgotten more about driving a truck than most if us could ever hope to know. Being as how the newer drivers such as myself would be funding his pension it was in his best interest to make sure we were as good as we could possibly be.

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Not dissing you, but you can learn a lot by watching him, if you will. And you don't stop after every grade o check the brakes, were if they worked ok when you stopped, if you know they were working didn't you.
    Now maybe he should do more, but everybody whines because an OO is just after the miles, well think about it, that is the ONLY reason he has to even have you in he truck, period. So watch him and learn, I am sure you learned the fundamentals of backing in school, or should have,never got your license, the rest comes with practice, which you will get plenty of once you get your own truck.
    And do you really think he should slow down to have a smoke, and yes running the speed limit is normal for those that can.

x1Heavy, Dumdriver and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha
    My trainer was a lease purchase operator. I don't recommend it if you have a choice. He was in it for the miles, and didn't train well at all. He also had a Napoleon complex, but I had fun with that. I don't take that kind of crap from anyone. One of the many nagging things he would do was complain about me using the windshield wipers. Seriously. IT'S NOT RAINING ENOUGH! DO YOU KNOW MUCH WIPER BLADES COST!? I don't know if he was counting rain drops or not, but I have a suspicion he was. Lots of little stuff like that. It was amazing. I don't know if the dude is dead from a stroke or not by now, but I wouldn't be surprised.

11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    You know you are running on waaaayyyy too tight of a budget when you are counting rain drops lol.

spyder7723 and FearTheCorn Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.