I Have 65,000 for a otr Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OmcCheese, Nov 23, 2011.

1. BretStep

BretStep Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2011
    The T2000 is a decent rig. The earlier years had some bugs that have been worked out in recent years. ANy new engineering design will have its growing pains as pre production testing can never reveal every fault. Last year it was given a major body facelift fron the firewall up and changed the name to T700. The T2000 and 387 are built on the same platform and share many parts. Aside from the different styled front end and different dash, they are basically the same truck minus a few proprietary suspension pieces. The same goes for the new Pete 587 and KW T700. Almost like comparing a Chevy to a GMC truck, but not quite. The Pete 387 shouldnt be much heavier than the KW.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OmcCheese

OmcCheese Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Colorado springs, Co
    Iam realizing my choices are many. Tough decision to make. KW, Pete, Freightliner, Pro Star, dunno... Cummins, Detroit, volvo, maxxforce.

I have spent the last week going thru TruckPaper and Truck to Trucker and still am not sure what to purchase.

Guess I will make a road trip to Salt Lake City. The Choices seem much better than In the Denver area.

4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

im no expert but I'd stick to Paccar products and a big name Engine, Cat/Cummins/Detroit. The Volvo,mack,maxxforce,mercadies engines Suck.

American Trucker

5. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Any motor from 2008 to 2010 is bad compared to the pre emission engines. Cummins, Cat, Detroit, Mack have all had major issues during those years. I didn't mention Mercedes because they all are junk and we don't know much about the Paccar engine. I have a good friend that bought his first new truck after all the years of buying used he bought a new Western Star in 2008 with a Detroit and after 20,000 miles the motor was junk and they had to replace it. The down time just about put him under. Detroits use to be the worse engine on the market but they got their #### together in the 90's and started building a good engine. Cat was a great engine for many years until they had to deal with all this emission crap. We use to have engines that would last way over a million miles if they were taken care of and know it is just a crap shoot. It comes down to personal preference I have always been a Cat man and know I own a truck with a Cummins and have always closed the hood and walked away if a truck had a Driptroit.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Any engine from 2003 really to 2010 is crap, that includes my wonderful engine, or at least it used to include it. The 2003-07 engines suffered from higher operating temperatures of egr resulting premature component failure under the hood, very poor fuel economy, downtime, etc. 2008-2010 they added DPF to the mix and for all practical purposes beta tested this on an unsuspecting industry just as they did with the new engines in '03. The newer SCR engines seem to be better, running cooler, better economy than pre oct '03 engines but still are new. 03-07 engines are a known quantity now and can be made right. 08-10's can too but at a much higher cost.

As long as your business never takes you into California in the near future I would look for a 2000-2002 truck, overhauled engine with papers, and check over everything else to make sure it is up to snuff and won't chip away at that maintinence fund awfully bad right from the start. Any used truck, no matter what the condition, will always require some money after you get it to fix odds and ends. You can also find 2003 trucks with the older 2002 engines if you take the time searching.

You should be able to find a truck like this for 30,000 or less I would think although I haven't kept up with truck prices much in the past couple of years. I have heard used equipment is up significantly from when I bought mine. I got mine when equipment prices were at rock bottom, great time to buy a truck if a person had the money. Of course any time is a good time to buy if you have cash in full for the purchase.

Dryver Thanks this.
  7. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    10-4.....

Geez I saw a 359 on with Schneider a week ago... if they will take a 35 year old truck...:biggrin_25514:

8. BretStep

BretStep Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Volvos are a little harder to get parts and service quickly and are a little more expensive.
    MaxiForce engines arent holding up, which is why the company i work for is changing to KW's. International wants to sell only their motor.

Stick with the PACCAR twins or a Freightliner and the main three engine manufacturers.

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    We have Macks and dealership service sucks . I have had the truck in the shop a dozen times and only had 2 times out of that it didn't have to go back .
    Check out Ryder for used tractors off lease . It will be a well maintained truck . http://www.usedtrucks.ryder.com/Vehicle/VehicleSearch.aspx?VehicleTypeId=2&VehicleGroupId=9

10. OmcCheese

OmcCheese Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Colorado springs, Co
  11. companyman

companyman Heavy Load Member

Nov 17, 2011
    that truck is a glider kit. the truck is bought with no motor or trans new then they put whatever motor and trans they want in it. the quality of the truck depends on who did the work and what sort of parts they used. if its a used.motor its junk. but that looks like it may be a fitzgerald glider kit and they do a good job, better than factpry really. and they use detroit reman motors and eaton reman trans.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.