I have a few battery questions.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LoneRanger, Aug 18, 2019.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    what kind of high powered electronics you have in your truck ?

LoneRanger and KB3MMX Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Carrier APU has 6kwt 120v generator. its the best option for this situation...

Rideandrepair, LoneRanger and KB3MMX Thank this.
  4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    And can also be purchased as generator only if you don't want the AC system for whatever reason

LoneRanger and mhyn Thank this.
  5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I dont know for some reason, my brain works a lot better when i have 140 decibels oh music playing. Specially when its Rock, or dance music. The rhythm puts my head in a place that i start coming up with new inventions on a day to day basis and lately the inventions are in the trucking industry.

For my inspiration:

My main set up will be 2 x 1000 watt QSC powered speakers, and 1 x 1000 watt QSC subwoofer. 2 x 5.25 Infinity in door speakers and 2 x 6x9’s powered by a infinity 4 channel amplifier.

On top of that a 1500 watt Kettle for my coffees, a Laptop,

For testing out my inventions I will require 3000 watts or more when in use.

I think 8 battery setup and maybe a few capacitors would be needed to get the job done but it all hangs on the Alternators ability to supply power.

If what was said is true a 430A alternator is available then this could in conjunction with the TK APU alternator be enough. As the inspiration set up will only be used when I’m driving to get my brain working and the rest when I’m parked.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I will repeat what I said, it comes from a lot of years in electronics....

Get a generator.

Get a quality 10kw slow speed generator to give you clean and dependible.

Why?

Because when you are all done with the batteries, the cabling, the monitoring system and other changes, you will have spent more money and added more weight than it is worth it.

uncleal13 and LoneRanger Thank this.
  7. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    The issue is room, I’m at 224wb and already have a APU in place, and the location where a generator would go has a Spare tire Rack.

So my only location is the driver side of the rig with the generator, I have to look into it and figure out what i can do. I would like a diesel generator so i can pipe it into the tanks, the whole system I’m looking into would be used for show trucks and the tricked out rigs out there as each design would be unique for that truck.

I’m looking into customization of rigs and the profitability factor atm. Using my rig as a test vehicle to design, test and implement my ideas.

8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    This is a job for a 120vac honda generator. Gas is cheaper than diesel and the honda engine is cheaper to replace than the truck's. For the amount of power you want there is no sense in wasting extra via inverting DC to AC and then replacing inverters when they die.

If you dont want a generator, and have a midroof sleeper, my advise is to put solar deep cycle batteries under your bunk and build a full roof solar panel wing. Keep the solar battery bank on a separate LCD digital volt display and have a connection between your starting batteries and your solar batteries that is interrupted by a solenoid. The solenoid gets triggered by voltage on the field wire of your alternator. This way you can run your play batteries dead without any load on yoir starting batteries. As soon as you start the truck, the alternator brings both banks up to 14.x at a pace that the alternator can handle via its own internal regulation circuit. You dont need a bigger alternator, you just need to give it sufficient time to charge up.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok The generators foot print is less than the batteries and simplify a lot.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  10. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    will you drive, listen music and use the kettle? )))) your audio equipment is for 12v correct?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  11. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    Audio is 120v, but some places i park i would like to use them all at the same time. Sometimes have the entertainment going while I’m making coffee working on projects.

mhyn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.