I have a student that can not plan without GPS

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by wise2727, Nov 13, 2018.

1. wise2727

wise2727 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I am a trainer, and currently have a student in his 5th week. He's a good driver, good at backing, even good at planning where he's going to stop. When we pick up a load to Route plan he will type it in the GPS or Google Maps, then use the atlas to confirm that it is a truck route. Unfortunately he cannot at all plan his route from just the atlas.
    This is only caused a problem once, when we were going from Johnson City Tennessee to San Antonio Texas. He could not figure out how to get there without using I-10 (tropical storm coming through). My question to others is: how big of a problem is this in today's world? Would you feel comfortable signing off on a student that can't figure out how to get from Joplin Missouri to Amarillo etc without a GPS.?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Simple. Remove the GPS and give them the atlas and tell him to plan the cross-country portion and he can have the GPS the last 10 miles.

Does he/she know where the Mileage Directory and "Miles/Minutes" map is in the back of the Atlas? Do they understand how to read and add the red "distance ticks" on the various maps? Can they draw a straight line between Begin and End on the United States Map in front, and try and stay close to this line? Before GPS this is all we had and we managed.

4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    It’s a huge problem. And getting worse.

As an instructor, you should simply remove the GPS, cover any company provided GPS for a week. And teach him how to read a map.

5. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    I would have a problem with that. The ability to use MULTIPLE sources of information together is VITAL. As well as the ability to use the hard copy Atlas, when the GPS fails.

6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Huh. At least he is good driver, good at backing. Why we have qualcoms and all this tracking in trucks? To guide driver on right rout.

SteveScott and wise2727 Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Amarillo???? The place with the steakhouse. It's on 40 someplace.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    unplug gps, or pull it's fuse.

hand him the big laminated rand motor carrier atlas pencil, calculator and scrap paper. buy him his or her favorite meal. at the table in truckstop.

have him plan the next run very calm, no stress and help him.

check his work together.

drive the run without gps in his sight. just the map and paper he built.

quietly watch him plan the next run on paper. buy him a treat. A nice munchy or something. tell him to take it slow no stress, run it without gps.

do it again on the third run. this time it should go well.

have him run it without gps.

if he gets #####y and needy for gps have company shop issue you two old iron with no gps at all tempoarily. he must learn repeat map planning on each run. this will take 6 weeks. someday he will thank you.

9. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    That’s why most of us carried a briefcase/box full of city maps ;)

Multiple sources :)

jammer910Z, Metallica88, RSB34 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The question is not if you should or should not sign off on his training for this. The question is, is this a disqualifying issue as per company policy?

If it's not, sign off, if it is don't. If there is no policy then it's the same as it not being a disqualifying issue.

Don't screw with someone's livelihood because you are afraid of technology...

StrokerTSi, JReding, laaylor and 20 others Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Does your company provide "requested route" in the Load Screen? If so, this might alter some how you go about training but universal basics still need to be mastered.

$5 says he could not point out where Utah is on a US map. I'd make him study the US map as homework and quiz him later to point out states on the map.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.