I have a volvo VNM 630 2012 with 564000 miles, is showing RETARDER TEMPERATURE HIGH anyone know it

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by AGalvis, Jul 8, 2019.

1. AGalvis

AGalvis Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2019
    I have a volvo VNM630, 2012, 564000 miles, I have a RETARDER TEMPERATURE HIGH, on my screen, anyone can help me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Check the oil level in the transmission, it could be low causing high temperatures.

AGalvis and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And check your oil pressure as well in both engine and transmission. If they agree along with your axles you are ok. Something is going on. Im inclined to follow Boneebone here for sure.

In my day we use Jacobs over the Pistons the hard way. Never had em fail unless the fuse box got loose somehow.

In the meantime turn off the retarder and get to a shop where you can safely check the oil levels.

AGalvis Thanks this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    The only retarder that can get hot is the euro electric eddy retarders. They dump the heat in heatsinks. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to me why it would warn of that.

Retarder (mechanical engineering) - Wikipedia

6. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    What engine is in your truck and the transmission ??? Do you have error codes??

7. AGalvis

AGalvis Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2019
    I have a volvo engine D11 and volvo transmission, my truck is automatic with I Shift.
    I don't have any error code

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    It looks like it's an electric retarder in the transmission. Could be a dirty heatsink, clogged oil cooler, or something of that sort. It could just be that you're using it too much for it's specifications.

Could just be a simple hydraulic retarder.

AGalvis Thanks this.
  9. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Would it be possible you have a factory installed pto Set up and have left it on not knowing. and thats why its calling retarder temp high.

AGalvis Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.