I have an opportunity to purchase several new Mack MP8/MDrives,

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, Jul 12, 2018.

1. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    That is what got me in this predicament, trying to get someone to build me Argosy Gliders!!!!

MagnumaMoose and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    that is still a whopping savings of at least $25,000 (each unit). that savings can be used for other things, and no absolute guarantee even next year you will have those kw's..."suppose" something happens like a workers strike, or a rash of bad parts, holding up the assembly line?

good luck, what ever you choose, but if it were me, i'd go for what's there now, rather than to hope, pray and wish what i have keeps on ticking...

MagnumaMoose and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  4. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    They are all tough old trucks, and I love them, and if it was just me looking for one truck that is what I would do, that is why I just bought that Pete 372, for myself,,,,,BUT when you are talking a fleet, things change, could you image trying to track down 6 identical trucks, have them all refurbed or at least road ready all at the same time, chasing around for parts that may not be available anymore, don't think that is a viable solution for me. If I want to refurb trucks, Ill just stick with what I have???

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  5. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
  7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Lots of folks pump up buying older trucks. The simplest break downs such as A/C can be a pain. For instance I had an air bag fail on low air leaf Pete. One of the most popular suspensions ever mass produced. There was one in all of Memphis tennennesse to be had. It was not an easy to get to place with a loaded truck. 30 minutes till they clise so no time for uber. Made it over to SC A/C locks up. A miserable week later it's still out. No one keeps a compressor for an old 379 any more. Ordered it at home, when a guy has a fleet both those are unacceptable to a quality driver. Those that don't own old stuff need to before saying how well it works

8. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    Probably the wisest words spoken on this forum... EVER!

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I spent over a week trying to locate a transmission input shaft for my W900A. The old trucks are cool but parts just aren't laying around on the shelf. Even cams for a 2000 Rockwell axle were a b#### to find. Freightliner told me to piss up a rope and the only 2 I could track down were on the obsolete shelf in a warehouse somewhere in the Southern US.

wore out and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

No I didn't, I just figured if I was going to spend 99 grand a piece on those that I might as well just order new? They would have worked, but they weren't exactly want I wanted and the next trucks I buy will be my last........

So right now, I'm still waiting for Paccar financial to see if they are going to approve me for 6 new T680's, my local dealer has found 6 "open" slots that he said I could have for an Oct. build.

But they may not, in the past I have put large sums of money down and financed very little through my local independent bank whenever I bought a group of trucks, but at my age I really don't want to rob the piggy bank again, would rather just pay a note on everything, but I don't think big finance companies like that apparently? If not I may just buy trailers this year, which is a relatively small outlay, and then when the class 8 market cools off a bit buy then, "IF" I can keep my trucks together for another year, lol

They offered me very little on my trades, which hurts my "down payment" BUT there is another issue I am watching, I know it has been kicked around before but I think the bill in congress to repeal the FET on trucks and trailers may get legs shortly, paying the federal gov. over 120,000 in tax on new trucks this year and have them repeal it next year would probably make me want to jump off a cliff! lol

11. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Hey Tucker, Thx for asking, she is doing great, she is pretty much out of the puppy stage as she is 2.5 now, and she has calmed down a lot, (Thank God) she's been a real sweetheart lately and has taken to my new GF big time, so as of right now, it's all good!!!

tucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.