I have Arkansas CDL Permit, but going to train in Oklahoma....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hunterd1989, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Free-_-bird

Free-_-bird Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Yea, IF he WANT'S to get his license in OK, but IF he want's his license to be from AR, then all he has to do is take his uncle's truck to Springdale, take the test, go to the Revenue office in Springdale, get his license, then he can drive anywhere he wants, as long as he keeps an AR address. It's that simple.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    wow, that's weird. drove for @ 4 weeks in about 12 different states when i was out with my "trainer." FFE knew the whole time..

4. BulletProof

BulletProof Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    It might be a state thing. It might be a company thing. He said federal law says you can't cross state lines with a permit but for all I know he could have been feeding me a line.

5. MondoTrucker

MondoTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    No if he's going to go to school in OK (which he didn't specify weather or not he's going to school he just said train) and graduate from said school then he will need to do what I said. Driving and testing in your uncles truck doesn't get you an accredited school diploma, going to an accredited school does. And if hes going to do that in OK then he needs an OK permit in order to get an OK permit he will have to have an OK license in order to graduate from the school he will have to get his OK CDL. So there its not that simple.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. Free-_-bird

Free-_-bird Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Well, Mondo............I see you're a student, and the last sentence in your post seems a little like you already think you know all there is to know about trucking. Let's just see what the OP first said: "Will I have to re-take my written exams in Oklahoma or can I just pay a fee and have it switched over from Arkansas to Oklahoma".

Re-take exams in OK,
    OR
    have it switched from AR to OK

So........it seems to me that he's already got a permit from Arkansas, right? So.......if he wants to GET an AR CDL, then yes, he can come to Springdale and use ANYBODY'S truck to take the test in that he wants, which was his FATHER'S truck, since I had a little more time this time around to go back and re-read his post.
    But, if he DOES want to switch everything over to OK, then yes, he'll have to re-take the written exams in the state of OK and do his other tests there as well.

As far as an accredited school diploma, NOWHERE does the law say that you have to go to ANY school. As long as you pass your written tests, pre-trip, skills, and road test, you can get a CDL. Where the problem's come in for somebody doing it like that is that trucking companies and insurance companies won't hire you to drive a truck on your own. You CAN however go out with a trainer for almost any of the larger companies and some of the smaller one's for a minimum of 4-6 weeks, all the way up to 2-3 months, depending on the company, to get your training, THEN your company will put you in a truck of your own.

See, I DID go to a driving school back in '94 because, like you, I thought I HAD to in order to get my CDL's. I then drove for 5 years, starting with a trainer for 4 weeks, then out on my own. But after that 5 years, I got tired on not seeing my kids growing up, so I quit the business and let my CDL go. So.............I JUST went to Springdale, took my written tests, then set up an appointment and took all my other tests.
    My sister and brother-in-law owns a truck that I'm going to drive. So, we called around and found a few companies that would take a 5 year driver that hasn't drove in the last 14 years. So now, I'm headed from Springdale to Memphis, TN in the morning, spending the night at my Uncle's house, then going to a 9:30 orientation for a couple of hours, then heading out with a loaded trailer.

So, take it from somebody who's been there.............it CAN be that simple! Cheers!! :)

7. MondoTrucker

MondoTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm not going to argue with you with your almighty 5 years exp, and honestly the OP doesn't have enough info listed to warrant it. You said it right it your post "it seems to me". You can say anything you want when your going by what it seems to be, I am going by the facts about school in OK which again he didn't state he was doing. SO take your 5 years exp from the 90's and go on down the road and good luck to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.